It’s well after Christmas and Hannukah, but packages are still being reported stolen from front porches in Oak Park. A security camera recorded someone riding a red mountain bicycle swiping a FedEx package from a front porch on the 900 block of Hayes Avenue at 12:11 p.m., Jan. 24. The package, worth $50, contained a replacement part for a drum kit.
Packages containing baby clothes and bibs were nabbed from a front porch in the 500 block of South Clarence Avenue between 1:45 p.m. and 1:54 p.m., Jan. 26. Another package, this time from Amazon, was taken at about 1:03 p.m., Jan. 29, from a front porch in the 100 block of South Taylor Avenue. That package contained a light puffer jacket, worth $30.
Numerous tools were removed from the basement and first floor of a home under construction in the 200 block of North Elmwood Avenue between 12 p.m., Jan. 21, and 7:45 a.m., Jan. 23.
Motor vehicle theft
- A 2017 Kia Sportage was taken from the first block of Iowa Street between 8 p.m. and 11:20 p.m., Jan. 28.
- A 2015 Hyundai Sonata was removed from the 300 block of North Kenilworth Avenue between 4:03 p.m. and 4:25 p.m., Jan. 27.
- Someone removed a running 2008 Dodge Caliber, using the key left in the vehicle’s ignition, between 8 p.m. and 8:05 p.m., Jan. 24, from the first block of Harrison Street.
- A 2016 Hyundai Tucson parked in the 100 block of South Clinton Avenue was removed between noon and 3 p.m., Jan. 24. Chicago police recovered the vehicle in the 300 block of South Leamington Avenue, Chicago, at 11:11 p.m., Jan. 24.
- A 2015 Kia Optima parked in the 200 block of South Oak Park Avenue was taken between 11 p.m., Jan. 22, and 11 p.m., Jan. 23.
- A 2017 Hyundai Tucson was removed between 10 p.m., Jan. 23, and 8 a.m., Jan. 24, from the 100 block of Home Avenue. Chicago police recovered the vehicle in the 400 block of North Claremont Avenue, Chicago, at 10:57 p.m., Jan. 24.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2019 Dodge Charger then peeled the vehicle’s steering column between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m., Jan. 23, in the 1000 block of South Lyman Avenue.
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2019 Hyundai Elantra and peeled the vehicle’s steering wheel column between 12 p.m., Jan. 23, and 7 a.m., Jan. 24, in the 300 block of Washington Boulevard.
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2020 Kia Sportage then pulled the vehicle’s ignition between 8:15 a.m. and 3 p.m., Jan. 24, in the 700 block of South Grove Avenue.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2017 Ford E350 between 4:30 a.m., Jan. 20, and 6 a.m., Jan. 23, in the 400 block of South Humphrey Avenue.
- Two silver HP EliteBook laptops were removed from the recovery room on the fourth floor of West Suburban Medical Center, 3 Erie Ct., between 8:38 a.m. and 9:07 a.m., Jan. 21.
Criminal property damage
- Someone threw a brick at a transport van, shattering the vehicle’s passenger’s side window, between 5 p.m., Jan. 25, and 7 a.m., Jan. 26, in the first block of Madison Street.
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2017 Ford Fusion parked in the 200 block of South Oak Park Avenue between 4:15 p.m., Jan. 23, and 7 a.m., Jan. 24.
- A Dodge Durango was scratched and all four of its tires slashed between 10 p.m., Jan. 23, and 4 p.m., Jan. 24, in the 800 block of South Maple Avenue.
These items were obtained from Oak Park Police Department reports, Jan. 24-30, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan