An unknown person kicked open the door to an Oak Park resident’s apartment unit around 4:41 a.m., Jan. 10, in the 900 block of South Humphrey Avenue. The stranger was heard shouting, according to Oak Park police, before fleeing the scene.
The damage to the door is estimated at $200.
- Someone broke into a 2019 Chevrolet Express van, damaging the side cargo lock, and removed miscellaneous tools from inside the vehicle between 7:15 p.m., Jan. 10, and 6:40 a.m., Jan. 11., in the 800 block of South Euclid Avenue. The estimated loss is $2,000.
- Someone broke into a 2017 Porsche Macan, damaged its ignition, ransacked its interior and removed its owner’s manual between 7 p.m., Jan. 8, and 8 a.m., Jan. 9 in the 1200 block of North Elmwood Avenue. The damage and loss are estimated at $900 total.
Motor vehicle theft
- A gray 2015 Hyundai Elantra parked in the first block of Washington Boulevard was taken between 10 a.m. and 11:35 a.m., Jan. 12.
- A 2016 Hyundai Sonata was removed from the 1200 block of North Austin Boulevard between 11 p.m., Jan. 9, and 2:30 p.m., Jan. 10.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2014 Hyundai Accent and damaged the vehicle’s steering column and ignition port between 11:45 p.m., Jan. 9, and 9 a.m., Jan. 10, in the 400 block of South Lombard Avenue.
- Someone was captured on video surveillance camera removing a package of food from a front porch in the 400 block of North Taylor Avenue at 10:38 a.m., Jan. 12. The estimated loss is $150.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2007 Honda Civic parked in the 400 block of Lake Street between 7:25 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Jan. 12.
- Someone took a black and gray mountain bicycle that was locked to a bicycle rack in the 1100 block of Ontario Street between 4 p.m. and 8:15 p.m., Jan. 12. The estimated loss is $250.
- A witness saw a man using a Sawzall tool to cut the catalytic converter from a 2010 Honda Element parked in the 700 block of Belleforte Avenue at 11:41 a.m., Jan. 10.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport between 7 a.m. and 4:15, Jan. 10, in the first block of Van Buren Street.
- A witness saw a woman removing two packages delivered by the U.S. Postal Service from a front porch in the 100 block of Augusta Street at 4:30 p.m., Jan. 9.
Criminal property damage
- Someone splattered paint on two flags hanging from a construction fence in the 1000 block of South East Avenue at 9:15 p.m., Jan. 9.
- A red marker was used to deface an Oak Park resident’s garage door in the 700 block of North Harvey Avenue between 7 p.m., Jan. 9, and 12:15 p.m., Jan. 10.
- A garage door was marked with graffiti with a red marker between 4 p.m., Jan. 7, and 9:45 a.m., Jan. 8, in the 700 block of Lombard Avenue.
- Someone used a red marker to graffiti an Oak Park resident’s garage door between 5 a.m., Dec. 26, and 3:29 p.m., Jan. 8, in the 700 block of North Harvey Avenue.
- An Oak Park resident’s garbage cans were defaced with yellow paint between 4 a.m. and 1 p.m., Jan. 8, in an alley in the 600 block of South Ridgeland Avenue.
- Someone splashed green paint onto the stucco wall and trim of an Oak Park resident’s home in the 500 block of South Highland Avenue between 11 p.m., Jan. 7, and 11 a.m., Jan. 8.
These items were obtained from Oak Park Police Department reports, Jan. 10-15, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan