An Oak Park resident was the victim of an armed carjacking at the Shell gas station, 6129 North Ave., at midnight, April 1. As the victim exited the shop, she was approached by a man requesting spare change. When the victim refused and started walking to her beige 2012 Nissan Altima, the offender placed a hard object against her stomach, which she believed to be a firearm. The offender took the victim’s keys from her hand and then fled in her vehicle, traveling westbound on North Avenue. The police report describes the offender only as an unknown male.
A short time later, the victim’s Nissan Altima was found on fire by the Maywood police in the rear of the 1400 block of South 6th Avenue in Maywood.
Armed robbery arrest
- Oak Park police arrested Chicago resident Edward Searcy on March 31, after he was positively identified by a witness as the shoplifter who brandished a knife while trying to make his escape from the Jewel Osco grocery store at 438 Madison St.
A namecheck of Searcy revealed that a warrant out of Cook County and DuPage County had been issued for the 51-year-old for manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance.
- After exiting her vehicle, an Oak Park resident was approached at the front door of her residence by two male offenders, one of whom pointed a handgun at her and demanded her keys, at 1:47 p.m., March 29 in the 400 block of North Lombard Avenue. The victim handed over her keys and the two men ran across Chicago Avenue to where the victim’s gray 2017 Nissan Rogue was parked, got into the vehicle and fled. The estimated loss is valued at $18,000.
Chicago police recovered the vehicle unoccupied and with seven bullet holes in front windshield on the driver’s side at 8 p.m., March 30 in the 5300 block of West Kinzie Street in Chicago.
- A teenage boy, about 14 years old, slapped the back of an Oak Park resident’s head while waiting at the CTA platform in the 700 block of South Boulevard at 7:30 p.m., March 21, then punched the victim once while inside the train.
- Three leaf blowers were removed from the attached trailer of a Hoy’s Landscaping Inc. work vehicle between 10:48 a.m. and 10:52 a.m., March 28 in the 1100 block of South Taylor Avenue. The estimated value of the loss is $1,500.
- A Gucci bag, a pair of Gucci sunglasses, a pair of Ray-Bans sunglasses and 20 other pairs of miscellaneous sunglasses were taken out of an unlocked Nissan Murano between 5:30 p.m., March 30 and 6:20 a.m., March 31 in the 1100 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. The estimated loss is $2,500.
Recovered stolen auto
- The black 2014 GMC Sierra pick-up truck reported stolen Oct. 8 from the first block of Chicago Avenue in Oak Park was recovered by the Chicago Police Department without apprehension at 7:41 p.m., March 29 in the 4600 block of North Marine Drive in Chicago.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a white 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander parked in the 100 block of North Cuyler Avenue between 7:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., March 29.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a silver 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander parked in the 400 block of Wisconsin Avenue between 4 p.m., March 28 and 6:52 p.m., March 29.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through March 29 to April 3 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.