The Cook County State’s Attorney on March 23 charged 32-year-old Brandon Thomas, of Chicago, with committing two burglaries in Oak Park.
Police did not state specifically when the burglaries took place, but they occurred in the first block of Lake Street. Officers were able to track a victim’s cellphone to the 100 block of North Laramie Avenue, where police arrested Thomas who was reportedly in possession of the cellphone and other proceeds from the burglaries.
Detectives were able to obtain further evidence, including video evidence, which they presented to the state’s attorney for pursuing felony charges against Thomas.
- Oak Park police on March 24 charged a 37-year-old Chicago man with possession of stolen property in connection with a theft from a motor vehicle that occurred Sept. 23, 2021 in the 700 block of North Humphrey Avenue.
Detectives reported the alleged offender had used credit cards stolen from the vehicle at numerous locations shortly after the theft. Police apprehended the man in the 700 block of North Central Avenue at about 6:20 a.m. on March 24.
- Police responded to the 6000 of North Avenue on March 22 at about 12:25 a.m. after someone reported observing a man carrying a red bag and using some sort of “slim jim” tool pulling door handles on multiple vehicles in a parking lot and gaining entry to one car.
The offender made off with a small amount of currency after ransacking the interior of the vehicle, police said.
An Oak Park resident’s purse was snatched by a male offender as she was walking from her detached garage to her house at 7:05 p.m., March 22 in the 1200 block of North Elmwood Avenue.
The offender pulled up next to the victim in an older purple sedan with a loud exhaust, grabbed the purse from her left arm and then got back into the vehicle, which was last seen traveling westbound on LeMoyne Parkway. The purse contained the victim’s wallet and laptop, an estimated loss of $1,000.
Motor vehicle theft
- A black 2017 Cadillac XTS was taken from a rear lot in the 300 block of South Maple Avenue between 9 a.m. and noon, March 22. The estimated loss is $16,000.
- A blue 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck was taken from a rear carport in the 400 block of South Boulevard during the overnight hours of March 22-23. The estimated loss is $20,000.
Recovered stolen auto
The gray 2008 Infiniti EX35 reported stolen March 18 from the 100 block of Harrison Street in Oak Park was recovered by the Chicago Police Department at 8:35 a.m., March 22, and towed to the department’s impoundment lot.
- A flagpole and a rainbow pride flag were taken from an exterior wall of a residence in the 1100 block of South Lombard Avenue between 3:30 p.m., March 21 and 10:30 a.m., March 22. The estimated loss is $50.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a white 2017 Hyundai Sonata between 8 p.m., March 20 and 12:49 p.m., March 22 in the 900 block of Highland Avenue.
Criminal property damage
- Someone slashed three tires on a silver 2007 Ford Explorer parked in the 600 block of South Maple Avenue between 8:30 p.m., March 20 and 1 p.m., March 21. The estimated damage is $540.
- A black 2011 BMW was vandalized with graffiti while parked in the 800 block of Lake Street between 1 p.m., March 21 and 8 a.m., March 22.
- A witness observed two male teens throwing large rocks at the glass door of an apartment complex in the 700 block of South Maple Avenue at 8:47 p.m., March 23.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through March 22 to March 25 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.