Messy Little Breakfast Sandwich with Ham and Sweet-Spicy Sauce
Up to 4 sandwiches
- Leftover ham, thinly sliced and cut to fit the English muffin 3 slices per sandwich
- Swiss cheese, thinly sliced and halved-2 halves per sandwich
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 Small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 Egg per sandwich
- Non-stick pan spray
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Whole Wheat English Muffins, split, toasted and buttered
- 1 Tablespoon sweet and spicy sauce per sandwich (recipe follows)
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Place a piece of the ham on a parchment lined baking sheet. Top with a piece of Swiss cheese, a second piece of ham, another piece of cheese and finally a third piece of ham. Create one stack for each sandwich you are building. Place the ham and cheese stack(s) in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
Heat the canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper and onions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until tender and just beginning to brown-about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Spray a skillet with non-stick pan spray and melt the butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Crack one egg for each sandwich you are preparing and slide it into the skillet. Allow the egg to cook sunny-side-up until the whites are set and the yolk is runny but warmed through.
While the egg(s) cooks begin assembling the sandwich. Spread one tablespoon of the prepared sweet and spicy sauce on the bottom of each buttered English muffin and top with some of the sautéed peppers and onions. Place a warm ham and Swiss stack on top of the peppers. Slide one sunny-side-up egg on top of each ham stack. Season the egg with salt, pepper and fresh snipped chives before topping with the second English muffin half. Serve at once.
Sweet and Spicy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Marmalade
- 2 Tablespoons Honey Mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced chives (plus extra for garnish)
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside until ready to use. Refrigerate any leftovers.