The Oak Park River Forest Huskies hockey club snapped a three-game Metro West losing streak on Sunday night by trouncing Fenwick 2  8-1 at Ridgeland Common.

The Huskies came out fired up and controlled play from the beginning of the game.  However, Fenwick scored first, taking a 1-0 lead on a power play goal midway through the first period. The Huskies tied the score early in the second period on Phil O’Connor’s unassisted power play goal–the first of his three for the night. 

Two Friar penalties late in the period gave the Huskies a two-man advantage. With 2:58 remaining, Al McDonnell put the Huskies in front 2-1, taking a pass from Brett Newman (2 assists) and firing a wrist shot past the Fenwick goalie. 

While the Huskies dominated play in the first two periods, out-shooting Fenwick by a 2-1 margin, it was still anybody’s game going into the third period.  Three OPRF goals in the first 3:20 of the period put the game out of reach.  Just 23 seconds into the period, Dan Miskovic (2 goals, 2 assists) fired a slap shot from the left point that went up and over the Fenwick goalie’s stick.

A minute later, Matt McDonnell (1 goal, 3 assists) beat the Friar goalie with a slap shot from the right boards. O’Connor and Zach Smith (2 assists) picked up assists on the play.  O’Connor picked up his second goal at the 3:20 mark, poking in a loose puck after Fenwick had stopped Kenny Javor’s wraparound attempt.

The Huskies added goals by Al McDonnell and Miscovic to push their lead up to 7-1, and O’Connor completed his hat trick and closed out the scoring with a short handed goal with 20 seconds remaining.

Bob Grayson played a strong game in net for the Huskies, stopping 19 of 20 shots.

The Huskies and Friars will face off one more time this season on Jan. 23.

OPRF is back in action next weekend, with a road game against Naperville Central on Saturday night and a home game at Ridgeland Common against Providence at 6:10 p.m. on Sunday.

A press release contributed to this report.

Join the discussion on social media!