A gun was pulled on an Oak Park resident in an attempted armed robbery at 11:29 p.m., Oct. 5, in the 300 block of South Ridgeland Avenue.
The victim had been out walking when he noticed a dark four-door sedan following him. A man then ran up from behind the victim and pulled out a silver handgun, demanding the victim turn over everything he had. A struggle ensued, the gun went off and the offender fled northbound on foot. No injuries or loss was reported.
- Three men grabbed a woman by her hair and pushed her to the ground during a robbery at 4:30 a.m., Oct. 3 in the 200 block of South Maple Avenue. The men took the woman’s red Givenchy handbag, which contained her iPhone 13 and driver’s license, then fled the scene westbound on Pleasant Street. The estimated loss is $3,800.
- Someone broke into an apartment, ransacked its interior and removed an Apple MacBook Pro laptop, two iPads, a small computer tablet, a money order and a Sony boombox stereo between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m., Oct. 3 in the first block of Washington Boulevard.
- Someone entered a home through an unlocked window and ransacked its interior, taking an HP laptop, a black bookbag with red trim, a work ID, miscellaneous jewelry and a pair of Timberland boots between noon and 7:43 p.m., Oct. 9 in the 200 block of Harrison Street. The estimated loss is $2,000.
Motor vehicle theft
- Someone removed an unlocked 2015 Mazda CX5, with the keys left inside the vehicle, parked in the 200 block of Harrison Street between 12:40 p.m. and 1:35 p.m., Oct. 3. The estimated loss is $10,000.
- A 2017 Hyundai Tucson was taken from the 1000 block of South Highland Avenue between 4:45 p.m. and 8:25 p.m., Oct. 4. The estimated loss is $15,000.
- A 2017 Hyundai Tucson was taken from the 400 block of Garfield Street between 1:30 p.m., Oct. 3 and 7:26 a.m., Oct. 5.
- A 2022 Kia Sportage parked in a rear lot in the first block of North Austin Boulevard was taken between 10 p.m., Oct. 7 and 8 a.m., Oct. 8. The vehicle was recovered by Chicago police at 7:16 p.m., Oct. 8.
- A 2021 Kia Sportage was removed from the 500 block of Harrison Street between 11 p.m., Oct. 7 and 4:08 a.m., Oct. 9.
- A 2021 Kia Sorrento was removed from the 300 block of North Oak Park Avenue between 6:30 p.m., Oct. 8 and 9:46 a.m., Oct. 9.
- A 2020 Hyundai Elantra was removed from the 300 block of South Maple Avenue between 11:40 p.m., Oct. 8 and 9:41 a.m., Oct. 9.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and peeled its steering column between 10 p.m., Oct. 2 and 6 p.m., Oct. 3 in the 300 block of South Humphrey Avenue.
- The driver’s side front and rear windows of a 2016 Hyundai Elantra were broken, the vehicle’s interior ransacked, and its steering wheel column damaged between 10 p.m., Oct. 2 and 8 a.m., Oct. 3 in the 1000 block of Clinton Avenue.
- Someone broke the rear driver’s side window of a 2010 Kia Soul then removed the vehicle’s steering column cover between 9 p.m., Oct. 3 and 6 a.m., Oct. 4.
- The catalytic converter of a 2009 Toyota Prius was removed between 3 p.m., Sept. 18 and 6:30 a.m., Sept. 19 in the 1000 block of Lyman Avenue.
- A 5-foot gray Celtic cross tombstone, seven 6-foot cream-colored faux skeletons, 12 3-inch concrete tombstones and three black spotlights were stolen from a front yard in the 900 block of Wenonah Avenue between 10:30 p.m., Oct. 4 and 7 a.m., Oct. 5. The estimated loss is $1,030.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Oct. 10 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.