A Chicago resident was pepper sprayed in the face by a female passenger while riding the CTA Green Line at 5:30 p.m., Oct. 1 in the 300 block of South Boulevard. The Oak Park Police Department is investigating the battery.
According to Detective Commander Schonella Stewart, the female passenger accused the victim of staring at her. When the victim told the offender that he was not staring at her, she pepper sprayed him in the face and eyes.
After the victim got off of the train, the female passenger continued riding westbound.
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window to gain entry into a 2020 Hyundai Sonata parked in the 900 block of South Cuyler Avenue then pulled the ignition and removed cash from inside the vehicle between 9:30 p.m., Sept. 29 and 8:34 a.m., Sept. 30. The estimated damage is $300.
- A pair of white Apple AirPods in a brown leather case were taken from an unlocked 2016 Land Rover parked in the 400 block of South Cuyler Avenue between 11 p.m., Sept. 28 and 9:50 a.m., Sept. 29. The estimated loss is $300.
- A Makita lawn mower was taken from a residential garage with an open overhead door between 5 p.m. and 5:34 p.m., Sept. 29. The estimated loss is $400.
- Someone cut the screen on a rear door then reached in to unlock the deadbolt securing the home on the 800 block of Mapleton, then entered into the home and removed a purse and wallets from ransacked cabinets and closets between 1 p.m., Sept. 25 and 10:50 a.m., Sept. 27. The offender then went into the unlocked garage and ransacked the victim’s white 2019 Jeep Cherokee. The estimated loss is unknown.
Motor vehicle theft
- A 2022 Kia Sportage parked in the 200 block of Washington Boulevard was taken between 9:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., Oct. 1. The loss is estimated at $23,000.
- A 2017 Kia Optima parked in the 900 block of North Humphrey Avenue was taken between 11:38 a.m., Oct. 1 and 3 p.m., Oct. 2. The estimated loss is $13,000.
- A 2020 Kia Sportage was taken between 5:10 p.m., Sept. 25 and 5:10 p.m., Sept. 26 from the 1000 block of Washington Boulevard. Chicago police recovered the vehicle at 1:57 p.m., Sept. 27 in the 4000 block of West Walton Avenue in Chicago.
Motor vehicle recovery
- The 2018 Kia Optima reported stolen out of Oak Park from the first block of Harrison Street Sept. 30 was recovered by Chicago police in the 300 block of West 79th Street in Chicago at 9:45 p.m., Oct. 2.
- The 2015 Kia Optima reported stolen out of Oak Park from the 800 block of Fillmore Street was recovered by Chicago police in the 1500 block of South Karlov Avenue at 6:37 p.m., Sept. 29.
- The 2019 Hyundai Elantra reported stolen from the 1300 block of North Austin Boulevard in Oak Park Sept. 22 was recovered by Chicago police in the 3000 block of West Cullerton Street in Chicago at 4:37 p.m., Sept. 27.
- A package containing a pair of black Sia Collective tennis shoes was taken between 11:08 a.m. and 6 p.m., Sept. 28 in the 700 block of Washington Boulevard. The estimated loss is $270.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2008 Honda CRV between 3 p.m., Sept. 23 and 8 a.m., Sept. 24 in the first block of Harrison Street.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a Kia Sportage between 6 p.m., Sept. 23 and 4:30 p.m., Sept. 25 in the 200 block of South Boulevard.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Sept. 27 to Oct. 3 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.