A gun was pulled on an Oak Park resident Saturday morning, when he confronted a young man who was trying to cut the catalytic converter from his neighbor’s car. The victim had noticed the young man partially underneath his neighbor’s 2017 orange Kia Sportage at 9:15 a.m., Aug. 6 in the 400 block of North Oak Park Avenue.
When the resident confronted the offender, a second young man hopped out of a nearby black vehicle and lifted up his shirt to reveal a gray metallic handgun. The two offenders then fled in the black vehicle without taking anything. They were last seen driving southbound on Euclid Avenue.
Attempted aggravated carjacking
- Two males attempted to carjack a Chicago resident in the 700 block of Lyman Avenue at 4:40 a.m., Aug. 7. After approaching the vehicle, the first male opened the victim’s driver’s side door, started punching him and ordered him out of the car, while the second said he had a firearm and threatened the victim. After the victim pulled out small knife, the two males fled, taking the victim’s wallet with them.
- A standing propane lamp heater and a RYOBI circular saw were taken from a garage with a malfunctioning overhead door in the 900 block of Wesley Avenue between 9:30 p.m., Aug. 1 and 7:30 a.m., Aug. 2. The estimated loss is $600.
- Someone broke the rear lock and door to gain entry into a home in the 300 block of South Austin Boulevard then ransacked a closet between 6 p.m., Aug. 5 and 10:47 p.m., Aug. 7.
- Someone was observed trying to enter into a building through an unlocked alley-facing window between 9:30 and 9:44 p.m., Aug. 1 in the 400 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. No entry was gained, and no loss reported.
Motor vehicle theft
- A silver 2020 Hyundai Elantra was removed from the 1000 block of Woodbine Avenue between 9 p.m., July 31 and 1:24 a.m., Aug. 1. Chicago police later recovered the vehicle, with its steering column peeled, in the 5400 block of West Walton Street. The total estimated damage was unknown at the time of reporting.
- A black 2020 Kia Optima parked in the 100 block of Le Moyne Parkway was removed between 9 p.m., Aug. 6 and 2:30 a.m., Aug. 7. The estimated loss is $18,000.
- A white 2018 Dodge Journey parked with the engine running was removed at 4:58 a.m., Aug. 7 in the 100 block of Francisco Terrace. The estimated loss is $21,000.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a silver 2002 Jeep Liberty parked in the 1200 block of North Austin Boulevard between 12 p.m., Aug. 5 and 7:30 a.m., Aug. 7.
Criminal property damage
- An unknown man was captured on video surveillance camera defacing an Oak Park resident’s Black Lives Matter and rainbow flag with white paint at 1:05 a.m., Aug. 3 in the 1000 block of South East Avenue.
- Someone shattered the rear passenger’s side window of a white 2019 Hyundai Kona between 12 p.m., Aug. 1 and 4 p.m., Aug 3 in the 600 block of Wesley Avenue.
- The front driver’s side window of a 2021 Volkswagen was broken between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m., Aug. 3 in the 800 block of South Humphrey Avenue.
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a blue Honda minivan between 6 p.m. and 10:27 p.m., Aug. 7 in the 600 block of North Taylor Avenue.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Aug. 2 to Aug. 8 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.