An Oak Park resident sleeping in his black 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix was carjacked by five men at 4:15 a.m., July 28 in the 1000 block of South Lombard Avenue. After the five men approached the vehicle, one knocked on the window and asked if the victim was OK. The second offender then took out a black semi-automatic handgun and demanded the victim get out of the car. When the victim complied, all five offenders hopped into the vehicle and fled southbound on Lombard Avenue.
- Two men in their 50s, one of whom was said to be armed, robbed a Chicago resident at an ATM in the 1000 block of Lake Street at 2:10 p.m., July 29. Under the guise of asking for help with the cash machine, the two men approached the victim, who agreed to assist them. Once they walked to the ATM, one of the men demanded the victim take out cash, stating he had a gun. The victim complied, handing over approximately $550.
- An Oak Park resident was robbed of a watch, wedding ring and headphones after being approached from behind by a masked man who implied he had a gun at 5 a.m., July 31 near Fillmore Street and Highland Avenue. The estimated loss was unknown at the time of reporting.
Motor vehicle theft
- A Hillside resident’s car was stolen after he pulled over and exited the blue 2017 Dodge Challenger, which was left unlocked and running, to assist an injured person in the 100 block of North Harlem Avenue, at 9:43 p.m., July 25. The victim heard someone yell, “Go, go, go!” and saw a man in his early 20s get into the vehicle and drive away. The vehicle was later recovered by Bellwood police July 26 in the 900 block of South 25th Street.
- Someone removed a black 2021 Toyota RAV4, left unlocked with the keys inside, parked in the 1000 block of Lake Street between 8:50 a.m. and 9:27 a.m., July 27. The estimated loss is $25,000. The vehicle was recovered that afternoon by Chicago police at 3:33 p.m. in the first block of North Parkside in Chicago.
- A 2016 Honda Civic, left unattended, running and unlocked, was taken from the first block of Lake Street between 9:30 a.m. and 10:27 a.m., July 28. The estimated loss is $17,000.
- Someone removed a black 2014 Lincoln MKZ, left unlocked with the keys inside, parked near Home Avenue and Pleasant Street between 7 a.m., July 27 and 7:42 a.m., July 28. The estimated loss is $20,000.
- An unlocked, running and unattended 2016 Honda Civic was removed from the first block of Lake Street between 9:30 a.m. and 10:27 a.m., July 28. The estimated loss is $17,000.
- A yellow 2014 Kia Soul was removed from the 700 block of South East Avenue between 4 p.m. and 9:51 p.m., July 31. The estimated loss is $10,000.
Recovered stolen vehicle
- The gray 2015 Hyundai Tucson reported stolen July 21 from the 100 block of South Kenilworth Avenue was recovered by Chicago police in the 1400 block of South Kedvale Avenue in Chicago July 25.
- The gray 2019 Volkswagen reported stolen June 24 from the 800 block of South Boulevard was recovered in the 2800 block of West 5th Avenue June 24in Maywood by Chicago police.
- The dark green 2014 Nissan Pathfinder reported stolen out of Oak Park July 22 was recovered by the Oak Park Police Department July 26 in the 4600 block of West Monroe Street in Chicago.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through July 26 to Aug. 1 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.