Chicago resident Dameko Newsome, 18, was arrested on felony charges of aggravated vehicular hijacking, armed robbery and unlawful use of a weapon at 9:58 a.m., June 27 after being positively identified as the offender who aimed a gray handgun through an open window at a woman’s head while she sat in a car at 7:46 a.m. that morning in the 400 block of South Oak Park Avenue.
Newsome reportedly got into the vehicle after the woman exited but could not start the engine as the woman did not have the keys, as she was using a friend’s car for a smoke break.
When the victim’s coworker entered the parking lot, Newsome fled on foot northbound on Oak Park Avenue. He was later stopped by officers and positively identified. He was found with a fully loaded 9 mm in his waist band.
Aggravated vehicular hijacking
- A ride service driver was carjacked by three passengers, two of whom were armed, at 11:47 p.m., June 30 at their destination in the 800 block of Lyman Avenue. The driver was ordered out of the vehicle by one offender armed with a handgun and another wielding a knife. The passengers subsequently battered the driver and took his wallet and iPhone and then fled in the victim’s blue Toyota RAV4, where they were last seen traveling eastbound on Jackson Boulevard. The estimated loss is $30,080.
- An Oak Park resident was getting into the driver’s seat of her Prius when an unknown man sat down in the passenger’s seat and demanded she turn over her vehicle to him, but the carjacking was thwarted when the woman opened her door and began screaming for help at 11:21 a.m., July 1 in the 200 block of Home Avenue. The offender exited the vehicle.
- After meeting a man through a social media app, the victim invited the man to the victim’s residence, where the man then told the victim he had a firearm and proceeded to take the victim’s property and the victim’s blue 2016 Chrysler Town & Country vehicle between 11:33 p.m., June 25 and 5 a.m., June 26 in the 400 block of South Humphrey Avenue. The loss is estimated at $18,955.
- An Evanston resident was robbed in the 300 in the block of Chicago Avenue, when a man came up from behind and placed a heavy object against the victim’s back and demanded the victim’s property at 6:33 p.m., July 3. The man and his female accomplice took cash from the victim’s wallet then fled from the scene and entered a building in the 400 block of North Ridgeland Avenue. The estimated loss is $840.
- Someone removed a Schwinn bicycle, a bicycle lock, a pressure washer, extension cord, leaf blower, miter saw, two box fans, a retro fan and garden tools from an unlocked garage in the 500 block of Clarence Avenue between 7 p.m., June 27 and 7 a.m., June 28. The estimated loss is $940. Two vehicles parked in the garage had their interiors ransacked.
- After breaking the security lock, someone removed a smart television, cable wires and a box of miscellaneous items from a storage unit in the first block of South Boulevard between 10:20 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., June 20.
Motor vehicle theft/attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone shattered the rear passenger’s side window of a blue 2017 Kia Forte then removed a panel underneath the steering wheel in an attempt to steal the vehicle between 9 p.m., June 26 and 5:30 a.m., June 27 in the 900 block of Highland Avenue. The estimated damage is unknown.
- The rear passenger’s side window was shattered, and a panel removed from under the steering wheel of a 2021 Kia Forte in an attempt to steal the vehicle between 11 p.m., June 27 and 7 a.m., June 28 in the 200 block of North Euclid Avenue.
- A silver 2015 Subaru Legacy parked in the 600 block of North Lombard Avenue was taken between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., June 26. Oak Park police recovered the vehicle June 30 in the 600 block of Woodbine Avenue.
- A white 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan parked in the 900 block of Ontario Street was removed between 7 p.m., June 28 and 7:45 a.m., June 29. The estimated loss is $34,000.
- A gray 2018 Hyundai Tucson parked in the 100 block of South Elmwood Avenue was taken between 1 a.m. and 1:07 a.m., June 20. Oak Park police recovered the vehicle July 3 near the intersection of Scoville Avenue and South Boulevard.
Criminal property damage
- Someone damaged all four tires and the front and rear windshields of a white 2012 Hyundai Sonata, as well as dented the vehicle’s body, while it was parked in the first block of Berkshire Street between 10 p.m., June 29 and 3:29 a.m., June 30. The estimated damage is $6,000.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through June 28 to July 5 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.