A Hazel Crest resident was the victim of a robbery, April 18, at 7:50 p.m. in the 100 block of South Maple Avenue. Someone approached the man from behind and hit him in the head, causing him to fall to the ground. The unidentified assailant then took the man’s wallet, which contained his driver’s license, cash and credit cards. The estimated loss is $50.
- Someone removed a black, orange and red-striped Juiced electronic bicycle from an open garage in the 900 block of Clarence Avenue between 10 p.m., April 18, and 5 a.m., April 19. The estimated loss is $3,000.
- Someone pried open the lock handle and door to a vacant building under construction and removed 10 copper pipes, 50 feet of copper wiring and four buckets of filling between 3:30 p.m., April 20 and 5:30 a.m., April 21. The estimated loss is $2,800.
- A blue Bosch Bulldog power hammer drill with bits in a blue case, a red Milwaukee impact driver, and a red Milwaukee 4-inch grinder were removed from a 2021 Ford Transit van with an unlocked door between 10:30 a.m. and 1:26 p.m., April 22, in the 1000 block of North Grove Avenue. The estimated loss is $720.
Motor vehicle theft
- At 7:55 p.m., April 18, an unknown person removed a gray 2020 Kia Forte, rented from Avis Car Rental in Chicago, which was parked in the 6400 block of Roosevelt Road. The victim’s Samsung Galaxy A12 cellphone was inside the vehicle. The estimated loss is $18,300. The Chicago Police Department recovered the vehicle, unoccupied, at 2:45 p.m., April 19, in the 7300 block of South Eberhardt Avenue in Chicago.
- Someone removed a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta, parked in the 600 block of Adams Street between 6 p.m., April 21 and 7:30 a.m., April 22.
Recovered stolen vehicle
The silver 2016 Toyota Corolla reported stolen April 17 from the 100 block of Forest Avenue was recovered without apprehension by Oak Park detectives at 8:30 p.m., April 21 in the 4900 block of West Maypole Avenue in Chicago.
- The catalytic converter was removed from a black 2006 Ford Escape parked in the 300 block of South Maple Avenue between 5 p.m., April 12, and 6:20 a.m., April 13.
- Someone cut the catalytic converter from a 2008 Honda Fit between 11:15 and 11:40 a.m., April 21, in the 200 block of South Humphrey Avenue.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a Honda CRV, parked in the 100 block of North East Avenue between 7:45 a.m. and 3:15 p.m., April 22.
Criminal property damage
- Someone shattered the front driver’s side window and damaged the window trim of a 2017 Toyota Highlander, parked in the 1000 block of Woodbine Avenue between 7 p.m., April 18 and 8:04 a.m., April 19. The estimated damage is $1,000.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports, April 19-25, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.