Oak Park, Illinois:
In coordination with the Village of Oak Park, Growing Community Media and Wednesday Journal are proud to a host a Betty White Centennial Celebration on Saturday January 15, 2022 at 10am under the marquee at the Classic Cinemas Lake Theater, located at 1022 Lake Street, Oak Park, IL—White’s hometown.
“Oak Park is not quite St. Olaf but we are proud to be Betty White’s real hometown,” said Lourdes Nicholls, event organizer and Growing Community Media Senior Strategist, “We look forward to celebrating her on January 15th.”
A brief outdoor ceremony honoring Betty White is expected include:
- An “In Memoriam” proclamation by Vicki Scaman, Oak Park Village President
- Commentary from local historian Frank Lipo, Oak Park River Forest Museum
- “Thank You for Being a Friend,” performed by Cindy Fee, Golden Girls theme vocalist
- One hundred cake slices provided by Turano Baking Company
- “Be like Betty” photo ops with a display by 99 Haus Balloons
- 10:30 am Animal Care League pet adoption event–Byline Bank lobby across from the theater
Betty White was born on January 17, 1922, in Oak Park, Illinois and would have been 100 years old on January 17th, 2022. GCM had been planning a birthday celebration in her honor. In the wake of her death on December 31, 2021, organizers pivoted to honor her legacy with a special “Betty White Centennial Celebration” section in the Wednesday Journal newspaper on January 12th, and a live outdoor event on January 15th, 2022.
For questions or more information, please contact Lourdes Nicholls, Growing Community Media Senior Strategist, Lourdes@oakpark.com