A Western Springs man was able to run away from armed burglars in a parking garage in the first block of Erie Court last week. At 1:17 a.m., Dec. 3 the victim walked into the parking garage and found a man sitting in the front seat of his 2013 Jeep.
When the victim yelled, a second man appeared from the rear driver’s side of the victim’s vehicle and pointed a handgun at the victim, who was able to run out of the parking garage and call police.
The victim saw a dark gray sports utility vehicle exiting the parking garage, according to police reports, and returned to his Jeep to find its interior had been ransacked and rear driver’s side window shattered. No loss was reported.
Aggravated vehicular hijacking arrest
- A Chicago juvenile was arrested and charged Nov. 29 for the aggravated vehicle hijacking with a firearm of a 2015 Toyota Avalon that took place Oct. 20 in the 700 block of South Oak Park Avenue. The juvenile was identified as one of the two offenders through an investigation conducted by Oak Park police detectives and was taken to the Juvenile Temporary Detention Center in Chicago in lieu of bond.
- A security alarm system alerted police that A-1 Jewelry and Pawn, 6151 W. North Ave., was broken into at 2:24 a.m., Dec. 2. Officers found two glass display counters broken. A television, video gaming systems and other items were missing from the business. The loss was unknown at the time of reporting.
Motor vehicle theft
- The gray 2015 Infiniti Q50 reported stolen Oct. 26 from the 200 block of North Grove Avenue was recovered, sans license plates, by the Chicago Police Department Nov. 30.
- A black 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT parked in the 100 block of West Garfield Street was removed between 1 a.m. and 7:45 a.m., Dec. 1. A pair of Gucci sunglasses, a gold chain and a pair of Louis Vuitton sunglasses were inside the vehicle. The estimated loss is $61,500.
- The red Honda CR-V reported stolen Dec. 1 from the 6600 block of West North Avenue was recovered at 2:41 p.m., Dec. 2 by the Schiller Park Police Department with no apprehensions.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a Ford E-350 while the vehicle was parked in the 300 block of Chicago Avenue between 7 a.m., Nov. 24 and 7 a.m., Nov. 29.
Criminal property damage
- The rear driver’s side window of a black 2019 Dodge Charger was shattered between 1 a.m. and 8:15 a.m., Dec. 1 in the 100 block of Garfield Street. The estimated damage is $200.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Nov. 30 to Dec. 6 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.