While sitting in a black 2014 VW Passat, parked in an alley in the 400 block of South Kenilworth Avenue at 9:03 p.m., Sept. 25, the driver was approached by a man who pointed a black handgun through the driver’s side window, demanding the victim get out of the car
Once the victim got out of the vehicle, the man with the gun hopped into the driver’s seat while a second man got into the front passenger seat. The two drove off eastbound. The estimated loss of the car is $9,000.
Police reports describe the first offender as being Black and short, wearing a white mask and a gray-and-white Nike windbreaker. The second offender is described as short and Black and was last seen wearing a white mask and a dark hooded sweatshirt.
As a man walked westbound on Garfield Street at 3:30 a.m., Sept. 22, he was approached from behind by two teenage boys who demanded the victim’s property; the victim turned over his house keys, car keys, his identification and his credit card in the 700 block of Garfield Street. The offenders fled on foot southbound on Oak Park Avenue then westbound on Lexington Street.
Motor vehicle theft
- A man met with a prospective buyer, between 6:40 p.m. and 7:10 p.m., Sept. 21 in the 100 block of South Humphrey Boulevard, to sell his black 2012 Dodge Charger. The man handed over the keys and title after the offender gave him the cash, which turned out to be fake. The estimated loss is $9,500.
- Someone removed an unlocked gray 2015 BMW M2351, with the keys inside, from an unlocked garage in the 600 block of North Kenilworth Avenue at approximately 5:41 p.m., Sept. 25. The Chicago Police Department recovered the vehicle at 12:26 a.m., Sept. 26 in the 1500 block of North Lavergne Avenue without apprehension and the vehicle was returned to its owner.
- A black Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun was removed from a bag while the victim was at work, sometime between 11 p.m., Sept. 17 and 11 p.m., Sept. 19 in the 100 block of South Marion Street. The estimated loss is $700.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport between 3 a.m., Sept. 17 and 12:45 p.m., Sept. 19 in the 100 block of North Kenilworth Avenue.
- Someone cut the catalytic converter from a 2007 black Toyota Prius parked in the first block of Washington Boulevard between 6:30 p.m., Sept. 20 and 1:27 a.m., Sept. 21.
- Two packages containing women’s clothing were removed from the porch of a building in the 600 block of South Humphrey Avenue between 3 and 5:30 p.m., Sept. 20. The estimated loss is $100.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone broke the rear driver’s side window of a silver 2016 Nissan Sentra, parked in the 1100 block of Westgate Street between 7:59 p.m., Sept. 19 and 7:15 a.m., Sept. 20. Estimated damage is $500.
- Someone cut the break line on the front passenger tire of a black and silver Nissan parked in a garage in the 1100 block of South Boulevard between 10 p.m., Sept. 19 and 11 a.m., Sept. 20.
- The driver’s side window of a 2018 BMW was damaged after someone threw a rock at it between 9:15 p.m., Sept. 20 and 7:15 a.m., Sept. 21 in the 700 block of South East Avenue. The estimated damage is $200.
- The plate glass window on the northwest corner of Fleet Feet Sports, 10 N. Marion St., was broken at approximately 4:59 a.m., Sept. 24. The estimated loss is unknown at this time.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Sept. 17-27 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.