A BMW 750LI was carjacked at 11:33 a.m., April 13 in the 100 block of South Austin Boulevard. The male offender got into the vehicle through its unlocked front passenger door, while the vehicle’s owner was sitting inside. The man ordered the victim out of the vehicle. Once the victim had fled, the man hopped into the driver’s seat and drove off, going southbound on Austin Boulevard.
Chicago police recovered the BMW, the estimated loss of which was $23,000, the following day at 4:56 p.m., April 14 in the 4700 block of West Fulton Street in Chicago. The vehicle was unoccupied, and police made no apprehensions.
- Someone broke a window to a 2017 Chevy Silverado and then took a laptop computer from inside the vehicle between 3 p.m., April 11 and 5 a.m., April 12 in the 800 block of North Austin Boulevard. The estimated loss is $500.
- The glovebox and center console of a 2011 bronze Kia Sorento was ransacked after someone entered the vehicle through an unlocked door while parked in the 700 block of Lyman Avenue between 9 p.m., April 12 and 6 a.m., April 13. No loss at time of report.
- A man was observed via video surveillance forcing open the metal panel in the overhead door of Jiffy Lube, 215 S. Harlem Ave., at 11:23 p.m., April 15; once inside the business, he pried open the register and removed cash. The estimated loss is $140.
- One man broke the south side 6-foot-by-6-foot glass window of the Parlor Barber, 964 S. Oak Park Ave., then a second man climbed through the window and removed several pieces of hair grooming equipment at 1:55 a.m., April 17. The break in activated the business’s alarm, alerting the alarm company, which notified the owner, who viewed video surveillance footage. The two offenders fled in an unknown direction. The total loss is unknown.
- Someone entered an unlocked vehicle and took a pair of sunglasses, an iPhone and a pair of sandals from inside between 11 p.m., April 14 and 6 a.m., April 15 in the 400 block of South East Avenue. The estimated loss is $1,225.
Theft of a motor vehicle
- Someone removed a vehicle from the 800 block of South Oak Park Avenue between 6 p.m. and 11:45 p.m., April 15. The estimated loss is $10,000.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone damaged the rear window of the victim’s 2003 Honda Odyssey while it was parked outside a residence in the 900 block of North Humphrey Avenue between 11:40 a.m. and 11:51 a.m., April 18. The estimated damage is $100.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports April 13 – April 19 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan