A 2014 Chevy Sonic was forcibly taken from an Oak Park resident in broad daylight Monday, March 29. A man approached the victim at 1:10 p.m. in the 600 block of Fair Oaks Avenue, implied he was carrying a firearm and demanded the victim’s vehicle. The victim complied, and the man was last seen traveling eastbound on Augusta Street in the victim’s Chevy, the loss of which is estimated at $16,000.
- Offenders got into an unlocked 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe parked in a parking lot and removed from inside a black wallet containing an Illinois driver’s license, credit cards and insurance card between 9 p.m., March 22 and 5:29 a.m., March 23 in the 7000 block of Roosevelt Road. Unknown loss.
- Someone entered a residence through the unlocked front door and took a laptop computer sitting on the kitchen table between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., March 27 in the 500 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. The estimated loss is $400.
Motor vehicle theft
- Someone removed a 2011 Land Rover sports utility vehicle, left unattended, unlocked and with the keys inside, between 8:14 p.m. and 8:17 p.m., March 24 in the 100 block of Chicago Avenue. The estimated loss is $18,000.
- Someone removed a package containing a standing desk and a table runner from a resident’s front porch in the 1100 block of Clarence Avenue between 11:46 a.m. and 11:50 a.m., March 19. Estimated loss is $85.
- A resident’s flag was removed, and their flagpole damaged outside the front of their home in the 500 block of Washington Boulevard between 7 p.m., March 19 and 9 a.m., March 20. Estimated loss is $30.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 2020 Toyota Corolla, left unattended and running, in the 100 block of North Ridgeland Avenue at 6:38 p.m., March 22.
- The front license plate was removed from a Ford Expedition while parked outside the front of a residence in the 500 block of Linden Avenue between 7 a.m., March 22 and 9 a.m., March 23
Criminal damage to property
- Someone damaged the rear passenger’s side door of a 2020 Ford Escape between 8 p.m., March 25 and 10:30 p.m., March 26 in the 200 block of Elmwood Avenue. The estimated loss is $500.
- Someone damaged the rear driver’s side door of a 2007 Buick Lacrosse between 6 p.m. and 10:07 p.m., March 26 in the 200 block of Elmwood Avenue. The estimated loss is $150.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports March 22 – March 30 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan