Late on St. Patrick’s Day, an armed man approached and ordered to the ground two Oak Park residents – one an adult and the other a juvenile. At 11:03 p.m., March 17 in the 500 block of North Taylor Avenue, the man hit the adult victim in the head and demanded money, taking the adult’s cell phone and keys. The man also took the juvenile’s cell phone, as well as $40 and a bag containing sports equipment. When the offender got distracted, both victims fled the scene. The loss of the victims’ property is estimated at $1,090.
Police reports describe the offender as a Black male, about 20 years old, with light skin and a thin build. He was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and gray sweatpants.
- Three men approached the victim and demanded the victim’s property; when the victim refused, the three men began striking the victim and forcibly removed the victim’s property at 11:45 p.m., March 20 in the first block of Chicago Avenue. The estimated loss is $10.
- Someone broke into an unlocked vehicle and removed a handgun between 3:30 a.m. and 7:45 a.m., March 18 in the 200 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. Loss is $500.
- Someone broke into a garage, got into the unlocked car parked inside and took a Ventra card and cash between 10:30 p.m., March 14 and 7:25 a.m., March 15 in the first block of Garfield Street.
- Someone broke a window to a vehicle and removed a set of keys from inside the vehicle between 1:30 a.m. and 8:15 a.m., March 15 in the first block of Garfield Street. Estimated loss is $500.
- Someone broke into a garage and removed tools and an iPhone from inside between 6 p.m., March 14 and 7:40 a.m., March 15 in the 300 block of South Euclid Avenue. Estimated loss is $400.
- A garage was broken into and a weight set was taken from inside between midnight, Jan. 1 and noon, March 13 in the 800 block of North Woodbine Avenue. The loss is estimated at $1,000.
- Someone broke into a black Hyundai and took cash and a Visa gift card from inside the vehicle between 12:30 p.m., March 13 and 8 a.m., March 16 in the 700 block of Scoville Avenue. Estimated loss is $55.
- Someone cut the catalytic converter from a vehicle parked in the 200 block of Randolph Street between 7 p.m., March 16 and 9 a.m., March 17. The estimated loss is $1,000.
- A package containing a 32-inch Sony television was removed from the 900 block of South Oak Park Avenue between 7:10 p.m. and 7:50 p.m., March 17. The estimated loss is $329.
- A black and orange Arien 24-inch snowblower was removed from a resident’s backyard in the 800 block of North Kenilworth Avenue between midnight and 5 a.m., March 17. The estimated loss is $888.
- Someone took a FedEx package containing a Purple queen-size mattress delivered to a doorstep in the 1000 block of South Ridgeland Avenue between 7:17 p.m. and 7:40 p.m., March 14.
- Two men were observed via video surveillance cameras removing a vehicle’s tires and wheels between 10:38 p.m., March 17 and 8:25 a.m., March 18 in the 1100 block of Westgate Avenue. The loss is $7,000.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone damaged a vehicle by putting what police believe was sugar in the vehicle’s gas tank between 1 a.m., March 14 and 7:30 p.m., March 16 in the 1000 block of South Humphrey Avenue. The estimated damage is $1,500.
- Someone in a dark colored Honda Accord damaged the parking garage lifting arm barrier by driving through the arm while it was in the down position at 6:18 p.m., March 9 at 1133 South Blvd. The estimated damage is $600.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports March 15 – March 22 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan