An armed vehicular hijacking and an armed robbery occurred less than a day apart in Oak Park this past week between the evening of Wednesday, Oct. 28 and early morning Thursday, Oct. 29.
The carjacking occurred at 5:50 p.m., Oct. 28, when a man returned to his parked but running vehicle in the 6400 block of North Avenue and found another man sitting in the driver’s seat. When the victim opened the door, the offender pointed a firearm and then drove away eastbound on North Avenue.
Oak Park police recovered the vehicle shortly after at 6:56 p.m. in the 3500 block of West 5th Street in Chicago without apprehension.
A Chicago resident was robbed in Oak Park at 1:02 a.m., Oct. 29 in the 7100 block of Roosevelt Road when three teenage males exited a black GMC SUV and approached the victim, demanding the victim’s property. Two of the three teenage offenders were carrying firearms. One of the offenders took the victim’s wallet before all three drove away in the black SUV traveling eastbound on Roosevelt.
A man was walking northbound on Oak Park Avenue when he was hit in the back with a yellow paintball shot from a passing dark Nissan sedan at 9:09 p.m., Oct. 29 in the 400 block of Oak Park Avenue.
Someone entered a locked U.S. Postal Service vehicle and removed an unknown amount of mail between 3:10 p.m. and 3:15 p.m., Oct. 28 in the 1100 block of North Humphrey Avenue.
Recovered stolen auto
- The 2019 silver Honda Civic reported stolen Aug. 16 from the 700 block of Lyman Avenue was recovered by Chicago police at 2:28 p.m., Oct. 28 in the 3000 block of West Cullerton Street, Chicago without apprehension.
- The 2009 Toyota RAV4 reported stolen Oct. 20 from the 100 block of Harrison Street was recovered by Naperville police without apprehension in the 200 block of East Bailey Road, Naperville at 3:57 a.m., Oct. 28.
Motor vehicle theft
- Someone removed a black 2009 Toyota Highlander left unlocked with the keys inside between 8:30 p.m., Oct. 27 and 12:45 a.m., Oct. 28 in the 300 block of Ontario Street. Estimated loss is $2,000.
- Someone removed a 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid parked on the street in the 6600 block of Roosevelt Road between 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., Oct. 30. Chicago police recovered the vehicle without apprehensions Nov. 2 in the 2900 block of Lexington Street, Chicago.
- A parked and running 2007 Audi Q7 was removed from the 500 block of South Austin Boulevard at 8:17 p.m., Oct. 30. Chicago police recovered the vehicle in the 3900 block of 16th Street in Chicago Oct. 31 without apprehension.
- Someone broke the front driver’s side window of a vehicle and then removed the vehicle’s front grill, front passenger’s side headlight and damaged the latch to the trunk between 9 p.m., Oct. 28 and 8 a.m., Oct. 29 in the first block of Washington Boulevard. Estimated loss is $1,300.
- A Vizio 40-inch television was taken from a residence in the 100 block of North Humphrey Avenue between 6 a.m. and noon, Oct. 30. The estimated loss is $300.
Criminal damage to property
Someone poured liquid bleach and rock salt on the trunk and in the gas tank of a vehicle parked in the 100 block of South Austin Boulevard between 12:40 p.m. and 1:38 p.m., Oct. 27. Estimated loss is $5,000.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Oct. 26 – Nov. 2 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan