Coyote spotted in Oak Park Friday morning

By Graham Johnston

Manager of Internet and Technology

Oak Park resident Bruce Shabino spotted a coyote in his front yard Friday morning.

According to Shabino about 7:30 a.m. he saw the coyote enjoying a breakfast of squirrel in his front yard on Elizabeth Court. After a few minutes the coyote took off into Shabino's neighbor's yard.

If you spot the coyote, and if you're fast enough on the draw to snap a photo, we'd love to see it. Email us at digital@oakpark.com or tweet us @OakPark.

View Coyote sighting - Oct. 19, 2012 in a larger map

Contact:
Email: gjohnston@wjinc.com Twitter: @OakPark

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: October 31st, 2012 2:22 PM

I lost 4 Koi in my neighbors pond last year. What ever got them left all 4 heads lined up on the sidewalk. Ultimate survival of the fittest or recycling.

4Freedom from Oak Park

Posted: October 29th, 2012 10:06 PM

@Puppy Dies, my neighbor's dog killed a bunch my other neighbor's caged rabbits one night, but that never made the news. I feel that stories like the one you shared just play into people's unrealistic fears and lack of accepting any responsibility.

Puppy Dies of Coyote Attack in Wheaton

Posted: October 29th, 2012 1:54 PM

4Freedom from Oak Park

Posted: October 27th, 2012 6:36 PM

rj, I believe it! We had one in our place and he didn't take the bait either. My wife and I saw two mice on our short walk from the movies last night. Bring in the falcons!

Bruce from Oak Park

Posted: October 23rd, 2012 11:30 AM

I think "Gary RFTC" must have had a few too many at the party and was hallucinating. He is correct about me changing form at dusk, however, but it's to a werewolf not a coyote...

Gary RFTC

Posted: October 22nd, 2012 4:15 PM

Come on folks figure it out. This all started with Bruce who had been identified as the person at a party (on his own property yet) chasing people with an inflatable coyote. Now the hysteria sets in and everyone is seeing mice,possums,skunks,,bats,rabbits, and anyday now a fox will show up. It is Bruce I am telling you. Doesn't it make sense that you never see him in the same location as the creature you observe? I suggest that someone put a GPS on his body to find just where he goes at dusk

Bruce from Oak Park

Posted: October 22nd, 2012 2:49 PM

I've seen significantly more mice this year than in year's past. Chipmunks too.

KrisG from Oak Park

Posted: October 22nd, 2012 8:11 AM

Saw a coyote running west on Iowa Avenue at Lombard about a month ago at about 9 at night. Saw another one a week later jogging along next to the Green Line between Austin and Ridgeland.

rj

Posted: October 21st, 2012 11:34 AM

4Freedom - had four incidences of mice in the house since July and they refuse to take the bait. Exterminator said he can't keep up with calls, due to the warm winter we had.

Maureen

Posted: October 21st, 2012 10:12 AM

Bruce - sorry about the coyote in your front yard. I'm glad you kept him at bay and called the authorities.

4Freedom

Posted: October 20th, 2012 11:26 PM

Anyone else see lots of mice around OP this year? Seemed like anytime I was out walking, which was often, I saw a mouse scampering along a building. Hopefully, this guy makes some of 'em snacks.

Meep Meep

Posted: October 20th, 2012 2:29 PM

Has anyone seen the Road Runner??

Jeff Schroeder from Oak Park

Posted: October 20th, 2012 10:53 AM

Maybe we could get the coyote to consider switching his diet from squirrels to opposums.

Jim Hurt from Oak Park

Posted: October 20th, 2012 9:15 AM

My wife and I have both seen possibly the same coyote at different times. We live on the East side of Oak Park near Randolph and Humphrey. My wife has seen it in the early morning hours heading to the gym. I saw it strolling down the middle of the street at night as I was walking my dog. Fortunately my dog is over 65lbs and both decided to keep going their separate ways.

bobbie.raymond from Oak Park

Posted: October 20th, 2012 9:13 AM

I suspect that we are talking about several coyotes....with the southeast OP one the same coyote I have seen on Columbus Park golf course. Not hard to trot from there to Randolph and Humphrey. And maybe the north OP one comes from the Forest Preserves to sample some of our squirrels.

Lisa from Oak Park

Posted: October 20th, 2012 7:33 AM

Last year I saw a coyote mid-day twice on Jackson near Euclid and Clinton.

HeidiP from Oak Park

Posted: October 19th, 2012 11:19 PM

We saw him Wednesday night (Oct 17th) near Lombard and Jackson. Didn't get a picture, though.

BrentB from Oak Park

Posted: October 19th, 2012 11:19 PM

Have seen 3 (different ones.

Alan Hoffstadter from OP

Posted: October 19th, 2012 10:10 PM

Yes. There ARE coyotes in OP. Just ask me or my neighbors at Randolph & Humphrey. Two sightings so far. So our squirrels have true natural predators once again.

Gary RFTC from River Forest

Posted: October 19th, 2012 6:56 PM

Now come clean Bruce! Last Saturday evening, during that huge, quite raucous, party which you and those other newbies hosted, you were chasing everyone with that inflatable doggy,that suspiciously looks quite similar to the "purported coyote" you photo shopped chowing down on that obviously fake child's toy? You might be able to fool Oak Parkers but not those of us who have really seen these rugged creatures scurrying around Keystone and Thatcher Avenues in Sleepy Town USA west of Harlem Avenue