A Chicago resident was hospitalized Saturday night after he was assaulted and robbed by two men while he was traveling on the CTA Blue Line.
According to police reports, the victim was asleep on the train but was awoken at 9:38 p.m., Jan. 29, when a man grabbed him from behind and held his arms, while another man hit him with a bat, stabbed him with a knife and bit him on his right hand. The men took the victim’s cell phone and wallet, which contained cash and the victim’s identification, then fled in an unknown direction.
The victim was transported to Rush Oak Park Hospital in good condition. The loss of his property is estimated at $300.
Aggravated DUI arrest
- Javier Zenon-Mata of Chicago was charged with a felony of aggravated driving under the influence after Oak Park police found him asleep behind the wheel of a running white cargo van in the middle of the road at 2:31 a.m., Jan. 30 in the 1200 block of North Humphrey Avenue. When the 41-year-old woke up, he crashed the van into a parked vehicle.
- Someone broke into a white 2005 Jeep Cherokee that had an unlocked front passenger door and removed a red Apple iPhone 11 and a silver Apple iPhone 6, both of which were sitting on the front passenger side seat, between 4:28 p.m. and 4:33 p.m., Jan. 27 in the 500 block of South Austin Boulevard. The estimated loss is $500.
- Miscellaneous car supplies were removed from the trunk and interior of a locked 2013 Hyundai Elantra that was parked near the intersection of Lake Street and Taylor Avenue between 5 p.m., Jan. 24 and 8:09 a.m., Jan. 25.
- Someone stole a roll of paper towels from inside a 2013 Toyota Highlander after breaking the vehicle’s rear driver’s side window while it was parked on the second floor of the West Suburban Medical Center parking garage, 3 Erie Ct., between 6:45 p.m., Jan. 27 and 7:30 a.m., Jan. 28. The total estimated loss and damage is $203.
Motor vehicle theft
- Two men were observed entering then driving off in a gray 2021 Mazda CX-5 that was left running and unattended in the 400 block of South Maple Avenue between 8:10 a.m. and 8:16 a.m., Jan. 25. The vehicle was last seen traveling northbound on Maple Avenue and then east on Washington Boulevard with a white sedan following behind it. Chicago police recovered the vehicle without any apprehensions in the 2900 block of West Washington Boulevard in Chicago at 8:45 p.m. that same day.
- Someone cut the wire and removed a Ring security camera from the side of the victim’s garage in the 600 block of South Taylor Avenue between 3:40 a.m. and 11:25 a.m., Jan. 23. The estimated loss is $200.
- A package containing exercise clothing was taken from the front porch of a residence in the 1000 block of Grove Avenue around 3:30 p.m., Jan. 26. The estimated loss is $100.
- A FedEx package was removed from the front of a building in the 900 block of South Oak Park Avenue at about 2:30 p.m., Jan. 11. The package contained a PlayStation 4 gaming console, a red Apple iPhone X, and clothes. The estimated loss is $1,500.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Jan. 24 to Jan. 31 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.