Former OPRF volleyball coach charged with felony harassment

Kasik arrested after alleged text, voicemail threats

By Brad Spencer

Sports Editor

Former OPRF boys volleyball coach John Kasik was arrested last week for allegedly threatening to kill a Lisle High School volleyball coach and rape the coach's wife and daughters.

Kasik, 61, who coached varsity boys volleyball at OPRF from 1992 to 2005 and led the Huskies to three Illinois High School Association state finals appearances, was charged with felony telephone harassment and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct, according to newspaper reports citing police.

Authorities say Kasik became enraged when his daughter was pulled from a match on Oct. 25 and afterward followed Lisle Athletic Director Dan Dillard's vehicle, pulled up alongside it and began shouting at Dillard about the game.

Later that evening, Kasik allegedly left text messages and voice mails threatening to kill Lisle head volleyball coach Matt Hrubesky and rape his wife and daughter, according to several news reports citing DuPage County State's Attorney Bob Berlin.

The messages continued for about five hours, from 9:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., according to police.

Kasik arrived at the high school the following morning for a meeting with Dillard that quickly turned hostile, Berlin told The Daily Herald. At one point, Berlin said, Dillard tried to end the discussion but Kasik blocked the athletic director's path out of the office and "bumped" him repeatedly.

Kasik posted $30,000 cash bond on Monday and is scheduled to appear back in court on Nov. 19.

Kasik retired from coaching volleyball at OPRF in 2005 after accumulating a career record of 353-165-1. He's sixth in the state on the list of all-time matches won in a career by a coach.

Under Kasik, the Huskies boys volleyball team finished second at the IHSA state tournament in 1992, 1993 and 1998. The team finished third in 1994 and 2005.

Kasik also coached the girls volleyball team at OPRF for a total of five years, the latest being the 2004-'05 season.

Contact:
Email: bspencer@oakpark.com Twitter: OakParkSports

Im a volleyBALLA

Posted: November 6th, 2012 2:41 PM

Sheesh can't people take a joke anymore? He wasn't REALLY going to do those things, he was just jokin around. It's volleyball humor, you wouldn't understand!

OPRF Parent

Posted: November 3rd, 2012 11:37 AM

To Agree with Monique: You "don't agree with John's choice of words"? He threatened to kill the man and rape his wife and daughters! "Gentleman, good husband, father and coach"? Oh, yeah. This guy's a real prince.

Mares

Posted: November 3rd, 2012 11:05 AM

I'm sure is daughter is so proud of him. Take about being totally embarrassed by your parent. Dude, take some valium and chill !!!

foom

Posted: November 2nd, 2012 1:41 PM

@Agree, nothing justifies what he did. I dont care how made you are about something you do not act like that

Maria from Oak Park

Posted: November 2nd, 2012 10:21 AM

Mr. Kasik clearly has serious anger issues. I hope he gets some help following this incident.

Agree with Monique from Lisle

Posted: November 2nd, 2012 10:13 AM

I agree with Monique.I have known John for years. The first thing that comes to mind when I read this article is: How unfair is the coaching and athletic director at Lisle H.S. to outrage him so? While I don't agree with John's choice of words, I bet the highschool is a huge contributing factor to this situation. The John I know is a gentleman, good husband, father, and coach.

WJ violating own rules?

Posted: November 2nd, 2012 9:27 AM

These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports filed Oct. 16-22 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's

Monique from Oak Park

Posted: November 1st, 2012 11:38 PM

Its crazy because I never comment on these things...but for this...I had MR.Kasik as a teacher, He quiet honestly was one of the best teachers I ever had, he also loved his children. I was so sad and SHOCKED to read this. I had him for a few years, I am so speechless. The ironic part is that, he has been on my mind for a few weeks, and I planned on trying to find him to contact him. Never the less his family is in my prayers.

Joe Coffey

Posted: November 1st, 2012 3:05 PM

This is the bad side to retiring "to spend more time with the family." Where are the local wackos to tar him as an example of teacher pensions run amok?

U_CRACK_ME_UP

Posted: November 1st, 2012 8:54 AM

@FOOM , He knows how to where his shirt, it's just Big BUBBA and some of his friends snatched him up to get some lovin from him!!!hahahaha, Karma!!!! hahahahaha

foom

Posted: November 1st, 2012 8:07 AM

Guy cant even figure out how to wear a collared shirt

Jerry Hudson from Phoenix

Posted: October 31st, 2012 7:49 PM

Sounds like somebody may be a couple of tacos short of a combo plate.

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad

Classified Ad