The River Forest Park District Board deferred action on a controversial proposal to allow the Dominican University women’s softball team to use a field at Keystone Park in River Forest following a contentious meeting Dec. 9.
More than 60 residents filled the meeting room at the park district building with several standing along the walls although there were a few unoccupied chairs. All 15 who addressed commissioners said they opposed the proposed agreement – to the applause of the crowd. Several others also signed up to speak, but deferred because their points had already been made by other speakers. Board President Mike Grant also said officials received 28 pieces of correspondence from residents, all opposing the plan.
At issue is a proposed partnership between the River Forest university and the park district that would allow the Stars women’s softball team to play its home games in Keystone Park, Lake Street and Keystone Avenue. Due to limited space for athletic fields on the campus at 7900 Division St., the Stars women’s softball team and the men’s baseball team play their home games off campus. Park district and university officials have been negotiating terms since Dominican first approached the park district in March.
Dominican has been playing its home softball games at the Parkway Bank Sports Complex in Rosemont, where the Chicago Bandits women’s professional team formerly played.
Under the proposed agreement, the Stars would practice and play home games on Keystone baseball/softball field No. 2 after the park district undertook improvements, including converting the infield from dirt and clay to a synthetic surface. Additional “minor modifications” would have to be made to meet National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 3 specifications.
Michael Sletten, park district executive director, said previously that a similar project is in the park district’s master plan and “has been on our radar.” That project carries an estimated cost of $460,000. It was not scheduled previously but could take place in 2025, allowing the Stars to play there beginning in 2026. In exchange, Dominican would pay the park district $60,000 in three annual payments of $20,000 each over the three-year agreement period. After three years, the agreement would renew annually unless either the park district or the university decided to cancel. Dominican would continue to pay $20,000 annually.
Sletten explained that the original term in the agreement was for 10 years with Dominican paying $200,000, $40,000 per year for five years. During negotiations, it was decided to consider the agreement to be a rental agreement, “just like everybody else,” he added.
For 45 minutes on Dec. 9, speakers gave a variety of reasons why they opposed the proposal, including the legality of a Catholic institution using a public facility and the fact that Dominican, as a non-profit, does not pay taxes. Others expressed concerns about River Forest Youth Baseball and Softball leagues losing access to park district fields, disagreeing with Commissioner Lynn Libera’s comment about minimal scheduling conflicts. Still others implied that park district officials had not involved residents in the process and suggested surveying residents or forming a steering committee.
Sletten said previously he did not anticipate scheduling conflicts, noting the Stars’ season runs from February to May and they start “way before everybody else” that uses the field. He also said youth groups do not play on Sundays, which would allow Dominican to play doubleheaders on those days. In addition, on practice days, the Stars are off the field by 4:30 p.m.
The meeting became contentious as it continued, with Grant wielding his gavel numerous times when attendees started shouting questions and accusations at the board.
A social media campaign and online petition drive were conducted over several weeks leading up to the meeting with the tone of the social media campaign drawing criticism from commissioners.
Commissioner Daniel Roche said he was “bothered” by the social media comments and Grant expressed concern about misconceptions and miscommunication.
“It’s shameful that people who are volunteers get bashed,” he said.
The claim in the online petition, which reportedly has been signed by 800 residents, that the proposed agreement is one-sided was addressed by John Planek, Dominican athletic director, who attended the meeting with Cristina Lukas, the Stars’ head coach.
Planek said that Dominican has provided support for the park district since he became athletic director in November 2023, citing as examples the university’s hosting the park district grade school basketball championships for fourth through eighth grade boys and girls in March. He said they plan to repeat the effort in 2025. He also noted the camps and clinics Dominican has hosted for park district baseball, softball and soccer coaches and players, as well as boys and girls basketball and volleyball coaches and players, one of which was scheduled to be held the night after the meeting.
“We want to be good neighbors,” he said. “We don’t want to displace anybody. We want to use the field when River Forest isn’t using it.”
Also discussed were possible parking and traffic issues on game days and allowing Dominican to place “Dominican University Women’s Softball” logos on backstop pads and windscreens.
Grant said any buses or vans bringing players and equipment to the field on game days will be parked offsite. He also said officials estimate the number of fans will not exceed the number of fans who attend Little League games. He estimated that 50 parking spaces are available in parking lots and on-street near Keystone Park.
Roche was skeptical and suggested that a parking and traffic study be undertaken.
Regarding the logos on the backstop pads and windscreens, Roche asked why they were staying up all season, Commissioner Dennis Healy asked how many there would be and Commissioner Carl Bade said he didn’t want them at all.
As that portion of the meeting wound down, commissioners expressed a desire to defer a vote.
Bade said he thought the board was going too fast, adding, “I don’t have a problem slowing down.”
Saying he “wanted to hit pause on this,” Roche agreed.
“I was uncomfortable going into this meeting,” he said. “And I’m uncomfortable now.”
If park district officials approve the agreement, Sletten explained that the renovation of the field, including converting the infield to artificial turf, still would have to be approved by the village and the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District.
The delay in making a decision could impact the proposed timeline and prevent the Stars playing at Keystone until 2027 or later.
When asked about the possible delay, Lukas shrugged and said, “I’ve been renting playing fields for 19 years.”
Commissioners agreed to defer a vote, instructing Sletten to address their concerns regarding legal issues and questions about parking and traffic. In addition, they asked him to coordinate one or more meetings with stakeholders, especially officials from River Forest Youth Baseball and Softball.







