An Oak Park resident started the new year with a broken window, courtesy of someone recklessly discharging a firearm in the direction of the resident’s home. The incident occurred between 8 p.m., Dec. 31, and 11 a.m., Jan. 1, in the 500 block of North Ridgeland Avenue. A bullet struck an east-facing window, shattering it.
The estimated damage caused by the bullet is unknown at this time.
- Someone broke into a home and removed copper from a bathroom sink, water heater boiler and water meter between 10 a.m., Dec. 10, and 7:56 a.m., Dec. 29.
- A male offender used a crowbar and bolt cutters to break into an Oak Park resident’s apartment, but fled upon seeing the victim inside at 5 p.m., Dec. 28 in the 1000 block of North Austin Boulevard.
Motor vehicle theft
- Someone removed a 2017 Volkswagen Golf parked in the 400 block of North Harlem Avenue between 1:45 p.m. and 2:05 p.m., Dec. 27.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone broke the rear driver’s side window of a blue 2013 Hyundai Sonata and damaged the vehicle’s steering column at about 9:07 p.m., Dec. 31, in the 400 block of South Maple Avenue.
- The catalytic converter of a beige 2020 Hyundai Elantra was cut between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Dec. 29, in the 200 block of North Oak Park Avenue.
- Someone removed a UPS package containing a gray laptop computer delivered in the 800 block of South Harvey Avenue between 2:10 p.m. and 2:40 p.m., Dec. 30. The estimated loss is $1,995.
- The catalytic converter of a gray 2010 Toyota Prius was cut between midnight, Dec. 29, and 10:18 a.m., Dec. 31, in the 1200 block of North Humphrey Avenue.
- The catalytic converter of a white 2014 Toyota Prius was cut between 7 p.m., Dec. 30, and 11 a.m., Dec. 31, in the 500 block of North Belleforte Avenue.
- The catalytic converter of a silver Toyota Prius was cut between 11:45 p.m., Dec. 30, and 2 p.m., Dec. 31, in the 200 block of Iowa Street.
- The catalytic converter of a gray Honda Accord was cut between 9:30 p.m., Dec. 30, and 4 p.m., Dec. 31, in the 800 block of Hayes Street.
- Two packages, which contained dog medication and contact lenses, were removed from a front porch in the 100 block of North Scoville Avenue between 5:36 p.m. and 5:38 p.m., Dec. 31.
Criminal property damage
- Someone shattered the rear passenger’s side window of a black 2020 Hyundai Elantra parked in the visitor lot of Rush Oak Park Hospital, 520 S. Maple Ave., between 10:15 p.m. and 10:20 p.m., Dec. 29.
- The front driver’s side window of a 2017 Ford Cargo van was broken between 12:45 p.m. and 1:38 p.m., Dec. 26, in the 1000 block of North Woodbine Avenue.
These items were obtained from Oak Park Police Department reports dated Dec. 27- Jan. 2 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.