Thank you to everyone who explored “Oceans of Possibilities,” our kids’ summer reading program theme, at the library. The results are in, and from June through August we can report families (both local and as far away as California and Oregon):
● Logged 1,382,435 minutes of reading;
● Completed 8,598 activities, and;
● Earned 20,000+ beads and stickers as prizes.
With an Oak Park collection of more than 230,000 physical and digital children’s items, as well as 120 activities in six categories (art, stories, music, nature, body and mind, and science) to choose from, there was something for everyone to explore. Nearly 1,500 kids (age 3 through rising ninth-graders) participated.
While this particular program ended Aug. 31, the library has so much to keep reading and learning fun for everyone of all ages, all year long. Here are four ways to take advantage of free library services and resources:
1. September is #LibraryCardSignupMonth. So if you haven’t already, be sure to get and use your library card. Oak Park is home to a library for everyone. Every Oak Park resident of every age (as well as every teacher, daycare provider, and business owner) can get a card for complete access to public library services and resources.
2. Use library apps hoopla and Libby. Check out and dive into new library materials at any time, from anywhere. When you can’t come into the library, your library meets you where you are. Or if you cannot find the title you want on the shelf, check these apps for a digital version. You can place holds, stream immediately, and download for later use. To learn more, visit oppl.org/hoopla and oppl.org/libby. Or ask us; we offer that support, too.
3. Listen to digital audiobooks — great for all ages. Hearing stories on hoopla and Libby is a great way to enjoy new content. Just like with ebooks, you can stream or download titles to listen to later. We love listening while in the car, on a walk, and when doing chores around the house.
4. Engage younger readers with animated, talking picture books. TumbleBookLibrary offers a fun collection. Get started at oppl.org/tumblebooks.
We love helping families connect with books they want to read and making learning fun. We hope we see you at the library soon!
Saam and Grove are children’s librarians at the Oak Park Public Library. Learn more at oppl.org/kids.