Two Chicago residents are charged with first-degree murder for the death of 18-year-old Jailyn Logan-Bledsoe. The Oak Park resident was fatally shot in the neck last month in the parking lot of BP gas station at 100 Chicago Ave.

Kenneth Elliott, 21, of the 1700 block of North Linder Avenue, was brought into custody Thursday in Chicago, as was his 17-year-old sister, Adrianna Vanzant of the 900 block of North Monticello Avenue. Vanzant, a minor, is being charged as an adult.

“While nothing can undo the tragic events that played out the morning of June 22, apprehending the individuals responsible for this senseless murder will hopefully provide some closure for Ms. Logan-Bledsoe’s family, friends and the entire community,” Interim Police Chief Shatonya Johnson said in a July 15 news release.

Johnson expressed gratitude for the outside law enforcement agencies that assisted Oak Park police in the investigation, including the West Suburban Task Major Crimes Taskforce and the U.S. Marshals Taskforce.

According to the Oak Park Police Department, Elliott and Vanzant were both carrying handguns when they approached Logan-Bledsoe from behind and began shooting at 1:50 a.m., June 22.

Vanzant then drove off in Logan-Bledsoe’s vehicle while her brother fled in a different vehicle. Logan-Bledsoe’s vehicle was later recovered in Chicago in the 200 block of North Kilbourn Avenue.

“The police department’s investigation is ongoing, but at this time there is no indication that the suspects were specifically targeting the victim,” Oak Park spokesperson Erik Jacobsen told Wednesday Journal.

Oak Park police previously identified two persons of interest in the investigation of Logan-Bledsoe but declined to give their names at the time the news was released. Jacobsen has now confirmed Elliott and Vanzant were the two persons of interest.

Elliott appeared in the Fourth Municipal District Court in Maywood Friday morning. He is being held on $850,000 bond, Vanzant, who was transferred to the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center, appeared in bond court Friday via Zoom. Her bond has been set at $1.5 million. The brother and sister will return to court Aug. 5.

Join the discussion on social media!