Chicago resident Jeremy Riley has been charged with reckless discharge of a firearm in connection to the traveling shootout at Roosevelt Road and Cuyler Avenue on Memorial Day.
Riley, of the 100 block of Bell Avenue, was with a friend at Mike’s Place, a Berwyn bar, when the latter was shot twice in the leg by an unknown person in a silver vehicle just after midnight.
As the vehicle fled, Riley, a registered gun owner with a conceal and carry license, got out his handgun and began shooting after the silver vehicle. Riley continued to shoot the silver vehicle while he chased it in his own vehicle carrying the victim in tow.
Shortly after, Riley abandoned the chase and drove the victim to Rush Oak Park Hospital, according to Oak Park police.
The investigation into the initial shooting that wounded Riley’s companion remains ongoing.
Aggravated use of weapon arrest
- William Harvey, of the 8700 block of West Summerdale Avenue in Chicago, was arrested for pulling a loaded handgun out during a verbal altercation with another person following a traffic accident in the 6400 block of North Avenue at 3:46 p.m., May 31.
- A Chicago resident was robbed and assaulted by a man and a woman, who followed her as she was walking, grabbed her arms and pushed her against the window of the former GAP, 435 N. Harlem Ave. The offenders then held the victim down, hit her on her face and body with their closed fists and took cash from her pockets at 1:36 p.m., May 31. The offenders fled in an unknown direction after the victim escaped.
- A silver HP laptop computer was taken from the front passenger seat of an unlocked Subaru Outback between 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., May 5 in the 1100 block of Linden Avenue. The estimated loss is $1,200.
Motor vehicle theft
- A gray 2020 Chevy Malibu was taken from the BP gas station, 6119 North Ave., between 7:55 p.m. and 8:05 p.m., May 28 using the keys to the vehicle that were accidentally left when the vehicle owner was into the station. The estimated loss is $7,500.
The vehicle was recovered in the 5400 block of West Crystal Street June 1 by Chicago police.
- The catalytic converter was removed from a gray 2013 Toyota Prius parked in the 600 block of South Austin Boulevard between 10 p.m., May 24 and 8 a.m., May 25.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a white 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander parked in the 100 block of Chicago Avenue between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., June 1.
Criminal property damage
- A Chicago resident watched as two approximately 20-year-old men throw a raw egg, which hit the roof of his gray BMW 525, at 4:45 p.m., May 29 in the first block of Harrison Street.
- Someone sprayed white paint onto an Oak Park resident’s Black Lives Matter and rainbow pride flags between 12 p.m., June 1 and midnight, June 2 in the 1000 block of South East Avenue.
- Someone cut the internet, phone and power lines to a building in the 900 block of South Ridgeland Avenue between 1:25 a.m., June 4 and 1:35 a.m., June 5. The tabs behind the electrical meter were also removed. The estimated damage is set at $1,000.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through May 28 to June 6 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.