Jamar Thornton of Chicago was charged with two class 4 felonies for aggravated driving under the influence and for aggravated driving with a revoked license for a traffic accident that left one pedestrian with non-life-threatening injuries.
According to police, Thornton was allegedly driving under the influence when he hit a parked vehicle. The force of the collision caused the parked vehicle to move, hitting a person standing nearby. Thornton’s vehicle then burst into flames. The victim was transported to Rush Oak Park Hospital for treatment.
In addition to the two felony charges, Thornton was charged with an alcohol-related DUI, a combined alcohol and drugs DUI, possession of cannabis, illegal transportation of alcohol, driving with a revoked license and driving without insurance.
Aggravated vehicular hijacking
An Oak Park resident with his 6-year-old son was carjacked at 4:45 p.m., Feb. 14, in the 200 block of Maple Street. Police reports state that the victim was exiting his black 2010 Toyota Corolla when he was approached by a man armed with a small handgun with a red light at the end of it. The offender pointed the gun at the victim and demanded he turn over his phone, wallet and vehicle. The man was able to remove his son from the vehicle before the offender drove off. Chicago police recovered the vehicle in the 3500 block of West Chicago Avenue in Chicago at 4:30 p.m., Feb. 18. One occupant of the vehicle was arrested. The investigation is ongoing.
Motor vehicle theft
A red Jeep Cherokee SRT was taken from a parking garage in the 100 block of Forest Avenue between noon, Feb. 14 and 9 a.m., Feb. 15. The estimated loss is $40,000.
Recovered stolen vehicle
The Honda CRV reported stolen on Feb. 6 from the 200 block of North Harvey Avenue was recovered by Chicago police at 11:40 a.m., Feb. 20 in the 5200 block of Harrison Street in Chicago.
- Packages containing a Japanese anime figurine and a pair of Nike tennis shoes were removed from a secured mail room in the 200 block of South Boulevard around 10 a.m., Feb. 14. The estimated loss is $435.
- Someone took a blue mountain bike that was secured to a bicycle rack in the 200 block of Home Avenue between 6 p.m., Feb. 11 and 6:30 p.m., Feb. 14. The estimated loss is $550.
- A Stitch Fix package of clothing was removed from a front porch in the 1000 block of South Oak Park Avenue around 4 p.m., Feb. 16. The estimated loss is $350.
- Someone stole a bird feeder and its iron stand from the backyard of a home in the 200 block of South Oak Park Avenue between 5 p.m., Feb. 15 and 9 a.m., Feb. 16. The estimated loss is $50.
- A man was captured on video surveillance cameras removing a package from the delivery bin near the front door of a house in the 1100 block of South Oak Park Avenue at 4:17 p.m., Feb. 16. The package contained a pair of white HOKA tennis shoes, an estimated loss of $160.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Feb. 15-21 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.