A Berwyn man is facing up to 12 years in prison after being charged in connection with the fatal traffic collision that left a 27-year-old Oak Park resident dead Nov. 21.
Humberto Sanchez, 27, of the 1300 block of Wisconsin Avenue in Berwyn was charged Jan. 12 with one count of aggravated driving under the influence. A toxicology report found Sanchez’s blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit.
According to the investigation into the incident, a vehicle reportedly driven by Sanchez sideswiped four parked cars before striking James Miller, who was exiting his parked vehicle near his home in the 1000 block of South Austin Boulevard at around 6:15 a.m., Nov. 21.
Miller was then taken to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood where he was pronounced dead about 45 minutes after the incident. Police took Sanchez into custody, but he was released on bond pending the results of blood and urine samples that were taken.
Aggravated carjacking arrest
- A resident of the 100 block of South Kenilworth Avenue was arrested for an attempted aggravated carjacking that took place at 3:41 p.m., Jan. 12 in the 500 block of Home Avenue. According to the police incident report, the 24-year-old suspect struggled with the victim and stated he had a gun, but the victim and a witness were able to hold the suspect until Oak Park police officers arrived.
Disorderly conduct arrest
- A Galewood resident was arrested on a signed complaint for threatening West Suburban Medical Center staff while being discharged as a patient on Aug. 8.
- A Glock 29SF pistol was taken from a 2019 Mercedes A220 with an unlocked door between noon, Dec. 18 and 8 a.m., Jan. 12 in the first block of Adams Street. The gun was in an unlocked case sitting on the backseat on the driver’s side. The estimated loss is $680.
- A gray MacGregor air compressor and a gray Pittsburgh floor jack were taken from a residential garage with an unlocked side service door in the 100 block of North Elmwood Avenue between 9 p.m., Jan. 5 and 2 p.m., Jan. 9. The estimated loss is $450.
- An exterior central air conditioning unit was removed from the back of a residence in the 800 block of North Lombard Avenue between 7 p.m., Jan 12 and 8:30 a.m., Jan. 13. The estimated loss is $3,000.
- The front license plate was removed from a 2020 Hyundai Sonata that was parked in the 400 block of North Humphrey Avenue between 5 a.m., Jan. 7 and 4 p.m., Jan. 9.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone damaged the seat of a picnic table located on the eastside of Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., between 6 p.m., Jan. 12 and noon, Jan. 13. The estimated cost of the damage is unknown.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Jan. 11 to Jan. 14 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.