A home in the 700 block of Clarence Avenue was broken into through a closed but unlocked kitchen window between 12:15 p.m., May 6 and 6:15 a.m., May 7.
The burglar ransacked the first floor of the home, removing keys to the victim’s vehicle, then left the home and went into the victim’s garage and got into the vehicle parked inside. The interior of the vehicle was also ransacked with no loss reported.
- Someone broke into a parked car and removed a white and brown purse, containing a white and brown wallet, credit cards, vape pen and phone charger between 8:05 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., May 4. Estimated loss is $400.
- An umbrella, makeup bag, gift cards and restaurant rewards punch cards were taken from an unlocked 2016 Jeep Cherokee parked in the 100 block of West Lake Street between 4 p.m., April 30 and 4:15 p.m., May 3. Estimated loss is $80.
- A man was observed via video surveillance going into the victim’s backyard, entering the garage through an unlocked door and taking a bicycle out of it between 1:30 a.m. and 8 a.m., May 5 in the 1000 block of South Lyman Avenue. Estimated loss is $100.
- Someone forced open a residential garage then removed a skateboard and a bicycle from inside between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., May 5 in the 200 block of South Maple Avenue. Estimated loss is $450.
- Someone entered a residence through an unlocked porch door then ransacked the kitchen and removed a key fob between 5 p.m., May 5 and 7:22 a.m., May 6 in the 700 block of South Euclid Avenue. Estimated loss is $200.
- A power saw and a DeWalt power drill was taken from a garage with an unlocked side service door in the 800 block of South Grove Avenue between midnight and 8 a.m., May 7.
Motor vehicle theft
- A woman observed two men enter and drive off in her vehicle, which she left unlocked and running in a parking lot in the 6400 block of West North Avenue at 8:02 p.m., May 5. The vehicle was recovered at 11:07 p.m., May 6 in the 800 block of North Waller Avenue in Chicago without any apprehensions.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a Toyota Prius between 3:50 p.m., April 29 and 6:53 a.m., April 30 in the 200 block of Forest Avenue.
- Two packages containing a purse, dress and shoes were taken from the vestibule of a building in the 400 block of North Humphrey Avenue between 2:30 p.m., April 29 and 1:40 p.m., April 30. The estimated loss is $357.
- A package was taken from the front porch of a residence in the 400 block of South Oak Park Avenue between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., May 4. The estimated loss is $115.
- An Amazon package containing a bamboo cutting board was removed from the rear of a building in the 100 block of South Austin Boulevard between 5 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., May 4. Estimated loss is $35.
- A bicycle was taken from under a resident’s porch in the 500 block of South Humphrey Avenue between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., May 5. Estimated loss is $300.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a Toyota Prius parked in the 1100 block of Ontario Street between 5 p.m., May 1 and 1 p.m., May 5.
- Someone broke into a residence by removing the window screen and opening an unlocked window in the rear of the residence between 11:30 p.m., May 5 and 1:55 a.m., May 6, which is when the victim’s dog started barking and the victim noticed the open window, in the 600 block of South Grove Avenue. No loss reported.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports May 3 – May 10 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan