A Chicago man received a litany of drug, traffic and alcohol-related charges after being stopped for a traffic violation in Oak Park Saturday night. The eight charges levied at the man include driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.
The 37-year-old man was pulled over by Oak Park police at 11:01 p.m., March 3, in the 400 block of North Austin Boulevard in Chicago for improper lane usage, according to the Oak Park Police Department. A name check revealed the man was driving on a suspended license. He was arrested and transported to the police station.
After the man failed field sobriety tests, it was found he was in possession of heroin. He was charged with possession of a controlled substance, three counts of driving with a suspended license, transportation of open alcohol and improper lane usage, as well as the DUI and intent to distribute charges.
- Two Chicago residents were held at gunpoint during an afternoon armed robbery at an ATM in Oak Park. The two victims were withdrawing money from an ATM in the 6600 block of North Avenue at 2 p.m., March 2, when two men pulled up next to them in a gray sedan with tinted windows. The two men then exited the vehicle and pointed black firearms at the victims, demanding money. Once the victims handed over the cash, the two offenders fled the scene in their vehicle, traveling northbound on Columbian Avenue. The estimated loss is $685.
- Two or three firearm magazines of 9mm ammunition and a ballistic vest were taken from a vehicle parked in the first block of South Boulevard between 3 p.m., March 1, and 9:15 a.m., March 2, during a burglary.
- Someone broke into TGI Fridays, 401 N. Harlem Ave., damaged the secured liquor cabinet, then took several bottles of alcohol between 11 p.m., March 1, and 7:30 a.m., March 2. The estimated loss is $615.
- An unknown man hit an Oak Park resident in the face several times while the victim was exiting a CTA train at 7:15 a.m., March 3, in the 700 block of South Boulevard. The victim was injured around the mouth and eyes.
Motor vehicle theft
- A 2014 Hyundai Sonata parked in the 300 block of North Cuyler Avenue was taken between 4:30 p.m., March 4, and 6:29 a.m., March 5. The estimated loss is $7,000.
- A 2017 Hyundai Elantra was taken between 11:15 p.m., Feb. 26, and 8 a.m., March 1, from the 700 block of Ontario Street. Chicago police recovered the vehicle at 10:24 p.m., March 1, in the 200 block of South Hamilton Avenue.
- A Hyundai Elantra of unreported year parked in front of a residence in the 1000 block of North Woodbine Avenue was taken between 4:30 p.m. and 7:40 p.m., Feb. 26. The estimated loss is $17,000.
- A 2017 Hyundai Tucson parked in front of a home in the 1000 block of North Fair Oaks Avenue was taken between 2:30 p.m., Feb. 26, and 8:30 a.m., Feb. 27. The estimated loss is unknown.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- A passenger’s side window of a 2020 Kia Sportage was broken, and the vehicle’s steering column damaged between 6:20 p.m. and 9:42 p.m., March 4, in the 400 block of Ontario Street.
- The driver’s side rear quarter panel was removed from a vehicle parked in the 400 block of North Taylor Avenue between 8:30 p.m., March 1, and 1:11 p.m., March 2.
These items were obtained from Oak Park Police Department reports dated Feb. 28-March 6 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan