Most folks consider a cheeseburger to be the quintessential summertime food. To celebrate National Burger Month, we’ve rounded up seven local burgers to satisfy your cravings. Putting a classic burger in capable and creative hands hands ensures you’ll enjoy a bliss worthy burger at any of these restaurants, but the similarities end there when it comes to restaurant riffs on beef between bread. This was a tough job for Oak Park Eats, but lets face it, someone had to do it!
Check out these seven burgers in the area and get ready to bliss out!
1. Burger Moovement: Patties at Elmwood Park’s environmentally conscious, Burger Moovement,are cooked on the spot and feature 100% Midwest Angus beef; you are free to select one, two or three beef patties to build your perfect burger. Their Classic Moovement features American cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise on a brioche bun.
GO: Burger Moovement 7512 W. North Ave, Elmwood Park, IL 60707
2. Lavergne’s Tavern: Every burger at this cozy Berwyn tavern starts with an 8-ounce custom blend steak burger. One of several burger interpretations on the menu, their version of the butter burger comes topped with Havarti cheese, roasted garlic butter, and caramelized onion jam.
GO: Lavergne’s Tavern 6546 Windsor Ave, Berwyn, IL 60402
3. Big Guys Sausage Stand: The award winning, hand-packed, big guy burger comes topped with 1000 Island, shoestring onion straws, and American cheese. The tiny stand is know for their housemade sausages, but managed to carve out a niche in the burger world, as well. Big Guys also has build your own burger options.
GO: Big Guys Sausage Stand 7021 W. Roosevelt Road, Berwyn, IL 60402
4. Hamburger Heaven: Okay so this retro Elmhurst spot may be a little bit out of the way, but there is so much nostalgia in every bite at Burger Heaven it deserve a place on this list. The walk up service spot opened in 1948 and they’ve been serving up double-decker burgers, crinkle cut fries, and shakes ever since. Snag a spot at an out door picnic table or eat in your car.
GO: Hamburger Heaven 281 N York Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126
5. Golden Steer Steakhouse: This timeless, white tablecloth restaurant in Forest Park has been serving steaks, seafood, and french onion soup since 1969. They know their way around classic dishes and the Steer Burger is worth every indulgent bite. You can opt to enjoy it on a traditional bun, but a proper steer burger comes on rye bread with onions and melty cheese. This burger is always cooked to your desired degree of doneness; medium rare is a real thing at the Steer!
GO: Golden Steer Steakhouse 7635 W. Roosevelt Rd, Forest Park, IL 60130
6. Burger Antics: The standard issue at Burger Antics comes garnished with bacon, egg, and American cheese. The friendly crew at Burger Antics in Brookfield whips up an array of responsibly-sourced, hand-packed burgers on a nightly basis. Their 9-ounce patties, served to your preferred degree of doneness (and yes, that means you can opt to enjoy it rare if that’s your thing) are meeting the standard set by of some of the best burgers in the area.
GO: Burger Antics 3740 Grand Blvd Brookfield, IL 60513
7. Scratch Kitchen on Lake: This fun and funky Oak Park joint crafts their array of well seasoned burgers out of brisket and chuck before “smash searing” them to medium-well doneness. Their namesake, Scratch Burger, arrives topped with truffled arugula, blue cheese, red onion, & roma tomato, on a pretzel bun.
GO: Scratch Kitchen on Lake 733 Lake Street Oak Park, IL 60301