Since 2004 when the federal assault weapons ban was allowed to expire (an abbreviated list):
Guns don’t kill people; people kill people.
Dec. 2, 2015 – Inland Regional Center, San Bernardino, California, 14 killed at a service center for people with disabilities.
Guns don’t kill people; bullets kill people; guns are just the delivery system.
- Nov. 27, 2015 – Colorado Springs, Colorado, 3 killed at a Planned Parenthood clinic.
Guns don’t kill people; people who shouldn’t be allowed to buy guns buy them or get them and then kill people.
- Oct. 1, 2015 – Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, Oregon, 10 killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country that worships guns and makes them much too easy to access, kill people.
- July 16, 2015 – Chattanooga, Tennessee, 5 servicemen killed at a military site.
Guns don’t kill people; mentally unstable people with assault rifles and large-capacity magazines kill people.
- June 17, 2015 – Emanuel AME Church, Charleston, South Carolina, 9 members of the congregation killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people overflowing with hatred, who have easy access to weapons of mass destruction, kill people.
- Oct. 24, 2014 – Washington State High School, Marysville, Washington, 4 killed in the cafeteria.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country saturated with cinematic, athletic and video-game violence, kill people.
- Sept. 16, 2013 – Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C., 12 killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where gun rights advocates don’t feel enough societal responsibility to become part of the solution, kill people.
- Dec. 14, 2012 – Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, Connecticut, 26 killed, including 20 first-graders.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where smart gun technology that would prevent anyone but the owner from firing a weapon — which is available but not widely promoted and adopted — kill people.
- Aug. 5, 2012 – Sikh temple near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 6 members killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where Congress blocks all efforts to pass universal background check legislation, kill people.
- July 20, 2012 – Aurora, Colorado, 12 killed in a movie theater.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where Congress lets a 10-year-old assault rifle ban expire, kill people with assault rifles.
- Jan. 8, 2011 – Tucson, Arizona, 6 killed outside a supermarket. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords survives a shot to the head.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where government fails to crack down on “bad-apple” gun dealers — who sell guns to people who commit crimes with them — kill people.
- Feb. 12, 2010 – Huntsville, Alabama, 3 biology professors killed at the University of Alabama by an instructor who was denied tenure.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where the leadership of the main gun lobbying organization opposes all efforts to close massive loopholes in the background-check system, kill people.
- Nov. 5, 2009 – Ft. Hood, Killeen, Texas, 13 killed by a military psychiatrist.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where the gun lobby protects an industry that makes billions at the expense of innocent lives, kill people.
- April 3, 2009 – American Civic Association immigration center, Binghamton, New York, 13 killed during a citizenship class.
Guns don’t kill people; people, who view the world through a lens of unreasonable fear, paranoia, racism and self-loathing, kill people.
- Feb. 14, 2008 – Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, 5 students killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people who keep electing representatives who do nothing after mass shootings kill people.
- Dec. 5, 2007 – Westroads Mall, Omaha, Nebraska, 8 killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people, who shouldn’t be able to buy guns, kill a lot more people with guns than without them.
- April 16, 2007 – Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Virginia, 32 killed.
Guns don’t kill people; people, in a country where we fail to connect the dots, kill more people more often than anywhere else in the world.
- June 12, 2016 – Pulse Nightclub, Orlando, Florida, 49 killed, 53 injured.