Oak Park Public School officials said Thursday afternoon they have no reason to believe it would affect Holmes School or its families.
“We have spoken with the Oak Park Police Department regarding the incident that occurred outside Holmes School last night,” said Chris Jasculca, spokesman for District 97. “While we cannot comment on the specifics of the investigation, it appears, based on the interview the police conducted with the victim, that this was an isolated incident that is in no way related to the school, our students or our staff.”
Oak Park police commander LaDon Reynolds said that the victim was a 17-year-old boy, and the incident started as an attempted robbery.
The two teens allegedly told the victim to give them his property, Reynolds said, though it wasn’t clear what they wanted from him.
Two teens shot at an Oak Park boy Wednesday night in front of Holmes School as the youth ran away from them after a fight.
The two 17- to 18-year-olds gave the Oak Park boy a head injury during the fight, which happened around 8:30 p.m. in front of the school, 508 N. Kenilworth Ave. in Oak Park.
As the boy was running away from the two teens, one of them shot at him with a handgun, but missed.
The boy was taken to West Suburban Hospital for his head injury and released.
Police radio reports from Wednesday night revealed that the bullet’s shell casing had been recovered.
The suspect who fired a gun was described by police as being black, roughly 5-feet, 10-inches tall with a medium build and short black hair. He was last seen wearing a brown letterman-style jacket with green sleeves.
Police are investigating the case as an aggravated battery.