Hubbuch needs Race Conscious Dialogues

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Such head-spinning display of contrasts in the April 24 Wednesday Journal. I was feeling somewhat hopeful (an uncommon occurrence in the last 2½ years) after reading the great write-up on Race Conscious Dialogues (a program in which both my husband and I have participated).

Then I found John Hubbuch's "Confessions of a Lapsed Liberal" [Viewpoints] a few pages later and I almost lost my lunch. Wow, another old white guy thinks the achievement (I prefer "opportunity") gap is "unfixable" — shocker — probably because he just doesn't care. I personally am glad that our schools haven't given up even though past efforts haven't been successful.

He's also so offended that an Oak Park school updated their art display with more diverse depictions of community life. What exactly is the problem? No art was destroyed. I do like his idea of removing some of the honorary photos of past white citizens from public buildings; my guess is that had more people of color been on the committees (or in positions of power) deciding who should get honored, we'd see different and more colorful faces.

An added bonus he serves up at the end is, "I am very conflicted about abortion." Ummm, who cares? You've never had to think about personally making that choice. Be conflicted all you want, but trust women to make their own choice!

In this column, Hubbuch proves he knows nothing about racism and how it works; he could make some headway if he were to participate in Race Conscious Dialogues. Unfortunately, I think he's too far gone and has no interest.

I'll take your bait, Mr. Hubbuch. You are racist and misogynistic. You prove it again and again on the pages of this paper.

Deb Wolkstein

River Forest

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and OakPark.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Corey Gimbel from Oak Park

Posted: October 31st, 2019 12:25 PM

I've dropped to my knees in gratitude for William Dwyer resurrecting this thread which I missed the first time around. I consider myself "woke" but not Like Bridgett Baron (who is my hero for her hard work taping, and posting meetings at the Oak Park Village Hall) and Ramona Lopez (who just schooled/spanked Deb Wolkstein but good). Thank you all. As for Deb I'd say she needs a life.

William Dwyer Jr.

Posted: October 31st, 2019 10:16 AM

No less than Barack Obama has has spoken out against so-called "woke shaming," i.e., claiming people aren't socially, I believe the word is "awakened" enough. "That's not activism," he says, adding that social media enables "woke" people to be "as judgmental as possible." Perhaps now all the people who like to throw that term around like will engage their brains first before shooting off their mouths. . .. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/31/obama-woke-shaming-bipartisan-support-yang-coulter-gabbard/

Bruce Kline

Posted: May 3rd, 2019 11:08 AM

I imagine the answer to your question, Bridgett, is folks like Ms. Wolkstein really don't want to "have an honest conversation." In my experience what they are really calling for is not a conversation but rather a lecture ... and an angry one at that. And Ramona, well put. Her beliefs do have all the trappings of a religion. Ms. Wolkstein's world is a melanocentric one, whereby the melanin content of one's skin determines one's worth or one's sins. It is very much akin to the preachings of the original prophet of the melanin centric universe: Dr. Francis Cress Welsing.

Nick Polido

Posted: May 3rd, 2019 8:58 AM

Alex Garcia

Posted: May 3rd, 2019 4:22 AM

Deb: You are so woke! LOL.

Bridgett Baron

Posted: May 2nd, 2019 9:52 PM

Deb, what is your goal with this letter to the editor? If you and your husband partook in Race Conscious Dialogues, and if you believe that such dialogues can be transformative, why would you write a public letter that is hostile ("Ummm, who cares?...You are racist and misogynistic. You prove it again and again on the pages of this paper.") and hopeless ("?he could make some headway if he were to participate in Race Conscious Dialogues. Unfortunately, I think he's too far gone and has no interest.")? //And your letter is not even *to* the person of your disdain, but *about* them.// The Race Conscious Dialogues website states, "Together, we are creating a brave and supportive space to show up, have honest conversation, and do hard work together."// How does writing this letter reflect that mission? How does it draw people towards wanting to engage in this work?

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us