Woman shot in armed robbery attempt

By Stacey Sheridan

A woman was shot by an armed young adult man in an attempted robbery that took place at 4:15 p.m., April 21 in the 100 block of North Lombard Avenue.

The young man approached the woman, displayed a small silver-colored revolver and demanded she turn over her property to him.

After a brief struggle, the handgun discharged, striking the woman in her upper right leg. The man was last seen running southbound on Lombard Avenue toward South Boulevard.

According to police, the woman will recover. She did not know her attacker.

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and OakPark.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Chris Weiler

Posted: May 1st, 2020 8:04 PM

Tommy. As I stated in my closing sentence, I am not suggesting anyone take my course of action. Not appropriate for most people. In fact, the intruder was armed (tucked in his pocket) but my planned element of overwhelming surprise gave him no opportunity to react and he was easily disarmed. Although in general, objective conversation, removed from the reality of how events unfold, advice such as "always call 911 first" appear sage advice. Not always true. Every decision has if/then conditionals attached... cause/effect, that either add or subtract from a successful outcome. If one is going to take the time to call 911, then one's resources of time and focus will be allocated to that decision, while the events you are calling about unfold around you, with you on the outside of those events (mostly passive). Perfect alignment. If however, one chooses to cross that line of safety and enter or interfere with those events, all one's resources of time and focus need to be allocated to support that decision (mostly aggressive). Again, perfect alignment. Vital, as decisions to get directly involved always carry extreme risk. That said, depending on circumstances, there are times when one can do both. About 20 years ago, I saw a man assaulting a woman on the OP "L" platform on 290. As I turned to start running for the platform to help, I said to my wife, "call 911... look at L platform... assault." That circumstance allowed for delegation of activating emergency services that did not subtract from my decision to get involved.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: May 1st, 2020 1:28 PM

@ Tommy: I am asking that you reconsider your statement "Most people are most likely to miss the person and never check their backround and end up hitting a bystander." To me most would mean more than half the self defense shootings involve a shooter hitting third party. I don't think that is true. The war in Southeast Asia continued on after American withdrawl meaning the US bears some responsibility for those deaths.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: May 1st, 2020 1:00 PM

Chris Weiler Just so others do not go out to confront a possible criminal, always call 911 first. Showing up to court is what needs to be done if you want to push it forward. You did defend your property although I would not recommend that people do that since if the offender was armed, the offender may have used a weapon. The numbers that really count are the lives that are saved. It is nice to know you were treated fairly in your right to protect your own property

Tommy McCoy

Posted: May 1st, 2020 12:52 PM

Brian Slowiak I would reconsider to take back some thing if I understood what you mean. When you reference Cambobia, I thing William Dwyer Jr. did a fine job of explaining the reality of it. We were headed and already in Cambobia during those times. If you want to reference any Killing Fields, you would need to understand living it. As for some thing really wrong, check out Black Water which has a new name. They are free from any law of killing and that is why they were hired to protect contractors. Seldom does a Police Officer need to return fire and maybe you had to and you may have checked your background. Please explain further so I know what you want me to reconsider

Chris Weiler

Posted: May 1st, 2020 12:19 PM

January 2017, about 2:30am I was enlightened by OP police on how criminals from the south side through the "west corridor" view OP/RF. We are viewed as easy victims because we can't be bothered/inconvenienced to prosecute. My home office overlooks my garage. Approximately 2:30am I noticed the garage motion light activate. Confident my family was home, I put my phone in my pocket and began to adrenalize while staring through the garage windows for movement. I see a man open the door to one of my cars - intruder. Based on his positioning, I instantly calculate if I move fast enough, I can likely surprise/subdue him just as he is exiting the garage. I grab my hardwood practice katana sword I keep near the back door and get to the garage just before he begins to exit. Long story short, I subdue him (breaking my practice sword), keep him trapped in the garage and call 911. Post arrest, the police speak with me at length about going to court to prosecute. They explain that OP is a hotbed for criminal activity because in most cases the law requires the victim to appear in court to prosecute or the criminal goes free. According to OP police, 9 out of 10 victims in OP choose not to be inconvenienced enough to keep their court date. "These criminals know OP doesn't prosecute. These criminals go free and communicate this to their criminal friends on the south side and west corridor." Like the unlocked door, OP is perceived by area criminals as a path of least resistance. Money, ordinance, policing, politicking, etc will not change this perception... people taking personal responsibility will. My day in court was painless... about 5 minutes. In the hall outside the courtroom I retold the events to the prosecutor. They would be prosecuting him on many other crimes, including mine and was assured he would be going back to prison. Not suggesting people take physical action against criminals, that's a personal choice. Simply showing up to court after your 911 call will suffice.

Chris Weiler

Posted: May 1st, 2020 12:17 PM

William Dwyer Jr.

Posted: May 1st, 2020 11:57 AM

??. Ummm... the documented, historical fact is that there was no "absence of power" in Cambodia during the Killing Fields period. Cambodia was run by the brutal Khmer Rouge communist party, which came to power after a 5 year long civil war that toppled the previous government. They weren't a good or human government, but they were a in fact a government.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: May 1st, 2020 9:00 AM

@ Tommy "Real" McCoy: Just wondering if you would consider taking back the statement, "Most people are most likely to miss the person and never check their backround and end p hitting a bystander" The definition of the word most applied to all self defense shootings is problematic. IMO think most would have to be over 51% . As far a Vietnam, there is a new mural on the northwest side acknowledging the "Killing Fields" which happened in absence of power in Cambodia.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: April 30th, 2020 6:38 PM

Jasper Long I do not know your training with a weapon although read the story if you have not already and notice a struggle took place that caused the weapon to discharged. People with CCW's are very limited in training. There is so much responsibility involved carry a gun, and there is no way if some one came up on you with firearm in hand that you would be able to draw your weapon without taken a chance of being shot. I am not against firearms, although I do not think many people really understand what is involved to be able to engage in a fire fight. You may have noticed videos of gangs shooting at each other. If you have, notice how both parties are running away as they are shooting at each other. It takes a lot of training to over come that and you never know what your response from training will be until you engage. Once again, I am not against weapons for defense, I am just against people not training for months until it becomes so automatic and that can not be done on a firing range. Most people are more likely to miss the person and never check their background and end up hitting a bystander. Your mind needs to evaluate everything in a matter of a second or two. Besides, with all of the weapons already owned, there is a very low number of people actually needing to defend themselves with a weapon. If you have let me know. The individual was very fortunate the bullet did not hit the femoral artery based from the accounts of the story

Tommy McCoy

Posted: April 30th, 2020 6:21 PM

Dean Rogers I think you are referring to the Johnson administration which also dragged us into a long war and people say Kennedy started it, although that was something I think he would have realized was wrong information and stopped it. Since it has been since 1965, I think it is time it is looked at and changed to what is needed today. Those old rules created single mother homes that it was more beneficial financially to remain a single mother

Jasper Long from Oak Park

Posted: April 30th, 2020 6:00 PM

@Tom MacMillan More than likely police won't be there until too late. It's best to be armed w/ CCW or avoidance through alertness and awareness, IMO.

Dean Rogers

Posted: April 30th, 2020 5:16 PM

Tommy McCoy Support groups for single parents.Federal and state help for unwed mothers.A problem federal and state government created in the first place.In 1965,the beginning of the war on poverty,the unwed mother birthrate was 20% for blacks. Today,thanks to various welfare programs,75%! There's where you can start your necessary changes;life choices and decisions.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: April 30th, 2020 5:11 PM

Tom MacMillan you just describe some politicians who want to take stuff from others and it effects you. Not the same as a gun shot although it is still wrong. That is called white collar crime. The Police enforce the laws and if the shooter was caught, would have been turned over and moved through the system. As you mention, there are always going to be people who are going to take things and to protect people from that happening, you would need to be surrounded full time by several well trained security force. There just are not enough taxes to make that a reality. It is a smarter use of money to move it from prisons into neighborhoods that provide jobs, education, single parent training groups and self respect. Remove the drugs, and you remove the source of most crimes although they flow into this country and if you do not know how they get in, then do some research

Tom MacMillan from Oak Park

Posted: April 30th, 2020 4:48 PM

Let's just have Trustees who are not trying to make things worse. Arti is dangerous to the citizens of Oak Park. And Tommy, whoever you really are, there will always be someone lazy or evil who wants to take stuff from others, and police protect us from that.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: April 30th, 2020 11:52 AM

Chris Johnson from OP I do not know this as a fact although I am going to just say the shooter is probably from a different neighborhood were poverty, broken homes, drugs, crime, are compared where there is a neighborhood that offers more for a person who wants to steal and turn it into a few dollars or trade it. You do not need to stop dressing well, or having items of value displayed in public. What needs to change is local, State and Federal government to invest in neighborhoods by bringing in large corporations, better education, involving single parent into groups that help raise better children without the strain of just trying to get by. It takes a lot of time to change a course although future generations will be better off for it. Until then, you will need some street smarts and realize that what you have appears to be a fortune. I do not condone the actions of the shooter although the shooter may have been less likely to do what the shooter did if the shooter had a different path in life. I know people will say you have to pull yourself up with your own boot straps although people need to get the boot straps from some where and have a good foundation to walk on

Chris Johnson from OP

Posted: April 30th, 2020 11:01 AM

Reposted from here: https://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/4-24-2020/Woman-shot-in-armed-robbery-attempt/ @Tommy: So, we should let our homes look like junk, drive old beat up cars, use flip phones from 2005, and not leave our homes, dress very unattractively? Otherwise, we should all be prepared to give up whatever we have on us (or our bodies in the cases of rape) to whomever asks us for it? I get what you are saying, if you don't want to get shot, just hand over the goods. Hmmm if people don't want to get shot by police, why not just listen to their commands (yes, yes, COMPLETELY different and I know its not always the case since people are shot in the back as they continue to run/walk from the police and not listen).

Tommy McCoy

Posted: April 29th, 2020 8:03 PM

Tom MacMillan You could add a force of 200 and still have problems. The key word in the story is "Struggle". Just give up the property. I know it is not the other person's property

Tom MacMillan from Oak Park

Posted: April 29th, 2020 2:48 PM

Village Trustee Arti Walker wants less police in Oak Park because she thinks we don't need them. If this kind of violent crime is happening in broad daylight, right here in Oak Park, the Trustee would be obviously out of sync with reality.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us