Oak Parker drives off from attempted carjacking

By Timothy Inklebarger

Oak Park police are searching for two men who attempted to carjack an Oak Park resident in the 100 block of North Austin Boulevard at 9 p.m. on March 28.

The offenders approached the driver's side of the victim's 2012 Hyundai Tucson, one of them pointed a dark unknown object at the victim and demanded the vehicle.

Police report that the victim drove off and the offenders fled in an unknown direction.

The first offender was described as a black male between the ages of 16 and 18, 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-7, thin and wearing a light gray hooded sweatshirt. The second offender was described as a black male between the ages of 17 and 20, 5-foot-9 to 5-foot-11, with long braided black hair and wearing a light gray hooded sweatshirt.

tim@oakpark.com

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and OakPark.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 8:38 PM

@Manning, I feel like I am in some odd mystery now. Next thing is Les will pretend to murder Alex to throw us off the scent. All I know is if people are faking their identity and/or that they actually live here then they have a sad life. Going that deep just to post some irrelevant comments on a local news site makes them super cool.

Manning Peterson

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 7:31 PM

How would you know whether or not I disagree with you? It's almost as if...stay with me here..."Alex Garcia" is not your real name! For anyone interested in the long and sordid tale of the egregious sock puppetry that got Les Golden banned from Wikipedia, here is some light reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Drlesmgolden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Les_Golden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Drlesmgolden/Archive

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 5:39 PM

Manning: You and Jason are trying awfully hard to unmask someone who simply disagrees with you. CREEPY. According to you folks, I live in Berwyn, Riverside, out of state somewhere and maybe points in between. I may also be a former photographer of some kind, or perhaps a guy named Les Golden. I know that de-platforming is all en vogue for folks on the left right now, but really?

Manning Peterson

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 3:42 PM

To be clear, the "Alex Garcia" posting on this site is absolutely NOT the actual Alex Garcia who used to be a Chicago Tribune photographer. It is very likely another one of Les Golden's many sock puppet accounts. "Facebook verified" means nothing when it's linked to a fake Facebook account. I wish the Wednesday Journal did a better job of screening out and banning these fake accounts.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 3:17 PM

Jason: Oh OK, well, just before the proverbial door hits my proverbial rear on the way out... Who is this "we" that you keep referring to? Is that a group that you chair, perhaps the same one that you set standards with to determine who is eligible to comment on oakpark.com? ;)

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 1:52 PM

@Ramona, you offer up some sensible tips and I agree we should be pressing the police to better educate the public. I don't honestly believe hiring a couple more cops will do much. Didn't we just add one or two more? I could be mistaken. The problem is this is a hard crime to stop. It's easy to get out of OP in minutes especially if it happens close to any neighboring border. I wish I knew how to best attack this. You are correct that a community discussion would be good though.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 1:48 PM

@Alex, we are well aware of your hate for everything OP it's well documented. As noted OP isn't actually losing residents nor are we losing a ton of businesses. Happy trails and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. Don't worry we will make sure to stay terrible after you leave.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 12:22 PM

@Brian. If you read my post, you would see that I was speculating why Mr. Garcia says what he says. Since we all know actions are louder than words, the evidence is in the community action. Have you seen anyone march at village hall to hire more police? Nope. There was some discussion about better lighting last year, but is that on the front burner? Nope Do you see community meetings educating people on what to look for when parking your car? Nope Here are a few suggestions from my personal experience and as a victim of a carjacking 1. I drive a 5 speed now and my car is 24 years old. Makes me less of a target. 2. Be aware of your surroundings. Every carjacking in Oak Park has been done by...well, we all know, but it's not P.C. to state facts in Oak Park. When you see youth with tattoos on their neck/face, pants below their waist, and with a certain walk (if you worked in Englewood you would know what I'm talking about) just keep driving. 3. If someone taps your rear bumper, DO NOT get out of your car, just drive to the police station or Fire Department and handle it there. 4. If licensed, arm yourself. 2017 15 carjacking; 2018 21 carjackings; 2019 don't know yet, but probably more than 21 before the end of the year.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 10:49 AM

Jason: I did respond to Brian's points individually, if you bothered to look. Anyway, I think that you and I are at an unsolvable impasse. You are happy with the status quo and welcome a continued "progressive" (i.e. socialist) future for Oak Park. I'm not satisfied with the way things are going here, mostly the result of Oak Park's recent leftist excesses, e.g. fixation on "equity" controversies du jure at the expense of sound fiscal and tax policy; a populace that is more inclined to hold a pro-Palestine rally in Scoville Park than it is to band together to oppose violent criminals who wish to prey on them; etc. So, sure, see me out the door, but then there will simply be one less person for you to yammer at about paying "(my) fair share". Also, FYI, I will still comment in these forums.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 9:58 AM

@Alex, so Brian's comment below that you never refuted until now is incorrect? If that's the case then comment away and you should definitely move as you clearly hate it here.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 9:50 AM

Jason: YES. Now, do I have a right to comment in your opinion? Note: I will be leaving Oak Park this year for likely greener pastures. Does that impact your judgment in any way? :)

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 9:16 AM

@Alex, do you live in Oak Park? It's a simple yes or no question. If you do then great and you are welcome to share your comments and they should be heard. If you don't, which i am pretty sure is the case, then your "opinions" don't matter at all. Nobody cares what used to be. We aren't looking for people to reminisce about the good old days or bad days in your case. We have actual stuff to deal with and you literally play no role in that so why should anyone care about what you have to say.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 7:30 AM

Jason: It's sort of cute that you think you know where I live and that you believe you are somehow more eligible to comment here. I'm guessing that if we added it all up, I have more direct OP residency, schooling and employment than you do, but sure, please try to deflect from that actual issues if this discussion if it makes you feel better.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 7:10 AM

@Brian, some here just want to hate everything that happens in this town. At least Alex left since he hates it so much although he seems to be unable to quit talking about OP for some sad unknown reason. Facts aren't relevant to many here as they hurt the narrative that everyone is running out of town in droves which clearly isn't accurate. These car jackings are serious and I would love to hear some community ideas on how to prevent them but that isn't as fun to talk about as how bad this place is. Alex isn't really worth our time now that we know he's just a troll.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 3rd, 2019 7:05 AM

Brian: Riverside? Try again. OP's Population has been in decline and the 2020 census may surprise you further. Long term, there will be fewer home owners in OP and possibly more renters. Oak Park's crime rate is "at historic lows" only in your fertile imagination. Business sentiment in Oak Park is exceedingly poor. Have you noticed all of the retail vacancies in OP along Lake Street and OP Ave.? That's just the visible evidence of business decline in OP and there will be more. Finally, I never said that OP wasn't currently raking in cash from all of the taxes that are levied. I said that OP has created an unsustainable tax burden for residents and businesses that makes it among the most exhorbitant in the state. But hey, if you think all's well...

Brian Souders

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 10:44 PM

Alex's comments aren't even correct. Oak Park population is going up. Crime is at historic lows (with some categories rising slightly). While some businesses are leaving, new ones are coming in. And I hear our 2018 sales tax revenue was up big time. But please - keep telling us how horrible Oak Park is from your residence in Riverside.

Brian Souders

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 10:39 PM

@Ramona. Seriously. I will ask this again: What is the evidence Oak Parkers are "accepting of these carjackings"? This is just some BS line for the Oak Park haters like Alex Garcia to say Oak Parker's are stupid and suck. Second: What prevention/enforcement tactics do you and the others so tough on carjackings suggest we do they we are not?

Ramona Lopez

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 3:27 PM

I may not agree with the manner in which Mr. Garcia expresses himself, but he has valid points. "Why are Oak Parkers so accepting of this epidemic?" I would venture to guess that since in Oak Park we march for the Me Too, Pro Choice, Racial Equity, Trayvon Martin, 2nd Amendment, living wage, etc. movements, yet when we have hyper local issues like carjackings, long time residents being taxed out of their homes, longstanding businesses leaving, etc. there isn't much action. They seem to be brushed off as something residents have to just accept for living in "progressive" Oak Park.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 2:17 PM

Mike: Oak Park 2019: - High crime - Business outflux - Declining population - Exorbitant taxation All of these trends mirror Cook County at large. If you believe that is "trolling", your prerogative.

Mike Hanline

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 1:06 PM

Alex is interested in neither the issues nor the solutions. He is simply on here to rile people up and then feigns surprise and offense when people punch back. He is by definition a troll.

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 7:02 AM

Ad hominem attacks, huh Jason? Sounds like you've already lost the argument and, as usual, are trying to gloss over some very real problems that Oak Park has right now.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 2nd, 2019 6:51 AM

@Edwin, he posts here constantly about how bad Oak Park is. He's clearly a loser that has no life and just posts here because he has nothing else to do. He doesn't actually live here.

Edwin Haag

Posted: April 1st, 2019 9:59 PM

I don't believe Alex is being critical of the Oak Park Police Department. Rather, he is being critical of prosecutors and judges.

Bruce Kline

Posted: April 1st, 2019 8:14 PM

Jason I agree. Although the interactions are often amusing and sometimes thoughtful. That is also the reason I often ignore Mr. Haley's editorials (whether I agreed or not). But I guess he gets a pass since he has a business here and he owns this web site.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 1st, 2019 7:29 PM

@Bruce, some people need to get better hobbies. Let's ignore them all. If you don't live in this community I really could care less what you have to say.

Bruce Kline

Posted: April 1st, 2019 5:46 PM

Well Brian if Alex seems to be dedicated to non-stop negative commenting on OP - a place where he does not reside - I guess he is just following in the proud tradition of folks like ShaRhonda Knott Dawson who also doesn't live here and seemingly has dedicated her energies to do the same ... with an imprimatur from the WJ (which often features her race based rants ). So what's fair is fair I guess. For some reason our community serves as political target practice ... especially for the many who don't live here.

Jason Cohen

Posted: April 1st, 2019 4:50 PM

@Brian, amen man. Who's excited about car jacking? There's a reason they are easy to do and it's because it's virtually impossible for the police to be everywhere to stop this. I guarantee the comments from the complainers will be something to the effect of "progressives and equity and nobody going to prisons" and all that. It's the typical speech from this crew. If you are right and Alex doesn't even live here then his new life must be awfully dull if he's still posting on here. This is a real problem though and we shouldn't argue with each other about it. There are many things we can't change so let's stop griping about them nonstop and think of ways to help stop this. I really don't have any clever ideas though.

Brian Souders

Posted: April 1st, 2019 4:32 PM

I don't get these comments. Who is being soft on these carjackings? What do these grumblers suggest to combat carjacking that the police aren't doing? And if Alex Garcia is who I think he is (noted photographer) didn't you move out of Oak Park a few years ago? If so, why are you so dedicated to non-stop negative commenting on somewhere you don't even live?

Tom Coffman

Posted: April 1st, 2019 4:25 PM

Bill and Alex-- the article states that the driver drove off. How is that being soft on car thieves?

Alex Garcia

Posted: March 30th, 2019 9:08 AM

What are we up to now? 10 or so attempted or successful carjackings since January 1? Why are Oak Parkers so accepting of this epidemic?

Bill Dean

Posted: March 29th, 2019 11:25 PM

I've never seen a collection of people so nonchalant and tolerant of carjackings as Oak Park residents.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us