Two Chicagoans arrested after being found in carjacked vehicle

Neither has been charged with carjacking, but investigation is ongoing

By Timothy Inklebarger

Oak Park police have arrested two Chicagoans, an 18-year-old and a juvenile, after they were discovered in the Kia Forte that was carjacked at gunpoint in Oak Park on March 24.

Police arrested Jaylin M. Johnson, 18, of the 2600 block of West Washington Boulevard, Chicago, and the juvenile, in the 3600 block of West Fillmore Street, Chicago, at 12:19 p.m. on March 26.

Police charged Johnson with criminal trespass to a motor vehicle and the juvenile with possession of a stolen motor vehicle.

The police summary report from the March 24 carjacking noted that the offender was a black male in his 20s, 5-foot-8, with a thin build, dark skin and wearing a back hooded sweatshirt and jeans.

The offender exited a white SUV with a broken rear window in the 600 block of South Humphrey Avenue at 6:18 a.m., opened the door to the 2018 Kia Forte, displayed a gun and demanded the vehicle.

The driver complied and the offender and the SUV fled the area.

Oak Park Village Spokesman David Powers said in an email that the arrest is connected to the Kia Forte but not necessarily the carjacking.

"Johnson and the juvenile have not been connected to the vehicular hijacking, but the investigation is still ongoing," Powers said. "These two subjects were taken into custody by Oak Park Police detectives with the assistance of the Chicago Police Department."

tim@oakpark.com

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and OakPark.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Jameel Rafia

Posted: April 1st, 2019 2:32 PM

Now, you are beginning to understand why I speak in ebonics, because just as the Navajo code talkers use language to their advantage; so do black people use language to navigate troubled waters..

Ramona Lopez

Posted: April 1st, 2019 1:15 PM

Don't forget, the Navajo soldiers in WWII used their native language to send messages. Nobody could understand it but them. It would be worthwhile to study and at least learn some basics of it.

Jameel Rafia

Posted: April 1st, 2019 12:23 PM

Thank You Ramona: However I identify Closely with the Native american tribe of Cherokee, and the Language of Cherokee is properly spelled Tsalagi its an Iroquoian Language:  a language with an innovative written syllabary invented by a Native Cherokee scholar.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: April 1st, 2019 8:44 AM

Yes, I'm aware there are many languages spoken on the continent of Africa Mr. Rafia. I'm simply suggesting you pick one that you identify with. Why should I move back to Mexico? Nobody here has ever suggested you move Mr Rafia. You made a complaint about the language we speak here and suggested you learn a native tongue. That's it!!! Never insinuated you or anyone else should move away.

Jameel Rafia

Posted: April 1st, 2019 6:58 AM

@Romana Really Africa WoW.. Did you know there are an estimated 1500-2000 African languages. Around a hundred languages are widely used for inter-ethnic communication. Arabic, Somali, Berber, Amharic, Oromo, Igbo, Swahili, Hausa, Manding, Fulani and Yoruba are spoken by tens of millions of people. So why do you bring up Africa, Ramona.? Maybe you should move back to Mexico and help your people if you woke.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: April 1st, 2019 12:03 AM

Jameel, speak however you see fit. Now if you were really "woke" like you claim to be, then you would have learned a language native to Africa. One that was meant for you.

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 10:10 PM

~Finna is not a word. It's more than that. It's a symbol I'm finna work around a language never meant for me. cause you see finna is its own little rebellion. Naw doesn't mean I don't know "Real English" it means you're not fluent in ebonics.So Respectfully, stick that grammatically correct stuff where the sun ain't finna shine. We finna celebrate our prosperity and creativity and change time and time again ~And what you ain't finna do is stop me from speaking ebonics~

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:54 PM

Again how have I race baited. I have not said anything against Latinos or whites, I just find it interesting that you refuse to speak to whites when they race bait I.e Zookeeper... Alex I'm sorry you're so Sleep maybe there's a group to help awaking you on reality

Alex Garcia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:46 PM

Again with the profanity, Jameel? As for your comments, you don't seem to like white people and, for that matter, Latinos very much. You seem to want very much to turn every topic into an "us versus them" racial session and you seem to take exception to the fact that, as a Latino, I'm not also attacking "white folks" as you are. I'm sorry that you're so bitter. Maybe there's a group or therapist who could help.

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:36 PM

@ Alex had I had to Google Webster -Race-Baiting noun. race-bait·ing |  ras-ba-tin  Definition of race-baiting : the making of verbal attacks against members of a racial group. How have I race baited.? By speaking ebonics; does that affend you alex.?

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:33 PM

@ Alex had Google Webster Race-Baiting noun. race-bait·?ing |  ?r?s-?b?-ti?   Definition of race-baiting : the making of verbal attacks against members of a racial group. How have I race baited.? By speaking ebonics; does that affend you alex.?

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:21 PM

Just as I thought akex, afraid to talk shit to white folks but jumb all over the brother man... Thanks for the auto correcting Alex

Alex Garcia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:05 PM

"thought"

Alex Garcia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 1:03 PM

Well, Jameel, I though that I'd leave all knee-jerk reactions to others' comments, and concurrent race-baiting, to you. You seem to be inclined towards both. ;)

Jameel Rafia

Posted: March 31st, 2019 11:13 AM

@ Alex Garcia; Good morning. So I noticed you have not said anything about Rob Ruffulo comment on "Zookeeper" is that not derogatory, Racist at its core?? Alex you cautioned me for what you called " playing the victimhood, using ebonics and profanity. Let me see you get on Rob Ruffulo.. Unless you dont see any wrong with the comment " Zookeeper "

Brian Slowiak

Posted: March 31st, 2019 9:49 AM

@ Alex Garcia: I agree with just about all you say, however being in possession of a stolen vehicle does not mean you are the person who stole the vehicle. Especially if the stolen vehicle was taken 6 days ago. A photo line up would and should take care of the issue. I was told years ago by a detective in in service training that when a person is found in a stolen vehicle the case was closed as to the theft, regardless of the person in the vehicle removed the vehicle.The creative pencil eraser policy of the Oak Park Police Department at its finest. Good luck to all the unchosen crime lottery winners of there.

Rob Ruffulo

Posted: March 29th, 2019 12:31 PM

the 2 phonies running for head zookeeper will say anything for votes

Alex Garcia

Posted: March 29th, 2019 10:06 AM

I'd be floored if either were actually charged with carjacking because both Kim Foxx and Toni Preckwinkle have opposed carjacking charges being leveled against even those found to be in possession of the carjacked vehicle. "Restorative justice" and all that.

Rob Ruffulo

Posted: March 29th, 2019 8:57 AM

Call Kim Foxx you will be a free man soon!

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us