Two instances of mail theft have occurred in Oak Park in a span of six days in recent weeks.
The first happened at 11:58 a.m. on Feb. 7, when a man was observed removing two bundles of mail out of an unattended United States Postal Service cart in the 300 block of North Maple Avenue.
About a week later, on Feb. 13, at 2:51 p.m., a similar incident occurred in the 800 block of South Scoville Avenue, where a man was observed removing pieces of mail from a USPS cart left on the sidewalk. A neighbor called the police.
The man fled on foot eastbound on Harrison Street.
- A person took a black 2011 Honda CRV, with the keys inside of it, which was parked in the 500 block of North Grove Avenue sometime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:27 p.m. on Feb. 8.
Chicago police recovered the vehicle in the 5900 block of West Cortland Street, Chicago, at 7:10 p.m. on Feb. 13.
- Someone stole an unlocked and unattended Toyota Camry that was left running in the 600 block of Garfield Street on Feb. 14 between 7:35 and 7:38 a.m. Police estimate a loss of $10,000.
- Someone stole a black Nokia cellular phone and a pack of cigarettes out of a suitcase belonging to a homeless woman who was asleep in the 300 block of North Oak Park Avenue between 10 p.m. on Feb. 13 and 5 a.m. on Feb. 14. The estimated loss is $415.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone used a BB gun to shoot a car's front windshield, damaging it, sometime between 2 p.m. on Feb. 8 and 10 a.m. on Feb. 9 in the 800 block of South Austin Boulevard. It will take an estimated $600 to repair the damage.
- All four tires of a Bolingbrook resident's vehicle were punctured while it was parked in the 800 block of South Oak Park Avenue sometime between midnight on Feb. 4 and 4:48 a.m. on Feb. 9. The estimated damage is $500.
- Someone broke the bedroom window of a residence in the 400 block of South Maple Avenue at 9:57 a.m. on Feb. 9. The offender fled in a charcoal-colored Nissan Sentra.
- A young woman damaged a Chicago resident's vehicle after hitting it with baseball bat, resulting in two dents to the vehicle's rear hatch, at 4:13 p.m. on Feb. 14 in the 6800 block of North Avenue.
The offender reportedly struck the vehicle in retaliation after being involved in a traffic accident with the Chicago resident. Estimated damage is unknown.
- Someone damaged the windshield of a Chicago resident's vehicle by throwing an unknown object at it while in traffic at 7:45 p.m. on Feb. 16 in the 700 block of South Harlem Avenue. The damage is estimated at $500.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Feb. 7 to Feb. 17, 2020 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
Answer Book 2019
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|