Time is running out on climate

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Print

I am a young high school teacher and mother of two. Having recently read and discussed the Smithsonian article on the UN report on climate change with my class, I was positively surprised by their enthusiasm and interest but absolutely horrified by the gravity of the situation.

We have 12 years to cut our emissions by 45% and in 2050 we must be carbon neutral in order to have a chance of surviving as a species. I think in order to achieve this, we need people like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and her Green New Deal. It would create jobs which couldn't be moved abroad, and we'd actually be investing in the technology of the future. With both lots of sunshine and wind, we've got exactly what it takes to get back in the alternative energy game. 

Congress has to support this if we are to have a future. 

In order to do this, people need to understand the gravity of the situation and this can't happen without the press. Young people can't do it alone. 

Elise Olmos

River Forest

Reader Comments

5 Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Ray Simpson  

Posted: November 28th, 2018 7:33 PM

@ Mark M - I would agree with your premise if we were talking about pollution rather than warming/cooling/what ever. Humans can impact air pollution and we have. Not many years ago the south end of the lake was covered with a red haze and the Tribune listed a pollution warning system. That situation is much improved and getting better. Why not exert our effort where we can see results and justify the expenses.

Marc Martinez from Oak Park  

Posted: November 28th, 2018 2:02 PM

You apparently do not understand the 'global' part of global warming. I am tired of these stupid reports and editorials that pretend this is a US problem, we are doing nothing, and say nothing about real solutions. China currently produces 30% of global emissions - twice the US and more than the US and Europe combined (24%). India is now the fourth largest emitter, nearly as large as Europe. The US and Europe have been reducing emissions annually since 2005 and continue that trend. China and India continue growing every year and were given a 30 year free pass to continue growing by the Paris agreement. If the US and Europe go to zero emissions in 10 years, the global output will still be higher due to China alone. 37% of US emissions are from power generation and 11% from home heating. The only viable power source to replace these is nuclear. 40% of Illinois power is nuclear. Replacing the other 60% with wind and solar would require paving over the equivalent of more than half the state. Illinois is also 44th in the nation for days of sunshine, so add some more paving for that. As the UN report says, nuclear power and reforestation would have the greatest impact.

Alice Wellington  

Posted: November 28th, 2018 10:44 AM

The single best way to cut the emissions is to move from individual cars to public transportation. Are you ready to make this switch? Is the local, state and federal government ready to get serious about investing in it?

Neal Buer  

Posted: November 28th, 2018 9:09 AM

Did you tell your kids that the CO2 emissions in the US dropped last year? Did you tell them that the temperature hasn't changed that much when you use satellite data? Did you tell them that the new representative is so stupid she couldn't name the 3 branches of the federal government?

Ray Simpson  

Posted: November 28th, 2018 7:59 AM

Yes, climate changes! Earth has experienced cyclical changes for it's entire history, even long before man built the first round thingy and called it a wheel' Al Gore made the exact same "chicken little" prediction 25 years ago and the only result was he made millions but none of the predictions panned out. All of the panic has always been based upon computer models that doctored the data to achieve a desired outcome. Hardly the stuff of "SCIENCE" I certainly hope that our tax dollars are not being spent holding Rep elect Cortez as any kind of an expert on anything. Am I a man made global climate change skeptic? Yes, I am a skeptic, I don't deny that climate changes, I refuse to swallow the line from politicians who line their pockets thanks to hand wringing fatalists. A recent report claims that our "sunspot" activity decline will cause a reduction in global temperature in exact same cycles as it has for millions of years. THE SKY IS NOT FALLING

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.


            
SubscribeClassified
MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad