Tell us how you curb your leaves

By Brad Spencer

Sports Editor

The recent winds have been menacing enough, and now the aftermath has left the yard canvassed in leaves. The front, the back, the gangway, the porch, the deck are all littered with fronds.

Everyone has a way of discarding their leaves — whether it be the traditional route of rake or the conventional method of lawnmower. Or are you one of those obnoxious people with the industrial strength leafblower revved up early on a Saturday morning.

We want to know what you use and how you get those pesky leaves from the backyard to the curb. Is it by tarp? Garbage can? Kid's pool? Pack mule?

We're working on a story about the myriad ways to move leaves. Send me an e-mail at bspencer@wjinc.com and do it quick. We're already planning a story on how you shovel your snow.

Thanks,

Brad Spencer
Sports and Real Estate Editor

Contact:
Email: bspencer@oakpark.com Twitter: OakParkSports

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and OakPark.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Lori

Posted: November 1st, 2010 9:11 AM

Isn't leaf burning illegal?

cc

Posted: October 29th, 2010 9:20 AM

Rake, gather into a garbage can, weed eat the leaves in can (to reduce volume), and store for use in the compost bin throughout the year. It's hard to get good brown material for the compost during the summer, spring & winter.

Brent from Oak Park

Posted: October 28th, 2010 7:45 PM

Oh, my blower is electric.My wife is one of those with the "Bare Lawn" obsession. Yet she loves to walk in the leaves at Morton Arboretum or Graue Mill in the Fall.She hasn't missed a day raking since the first leaves fell.Brent

Clint Gore from Oak Park

Posted: October 28th, 2010 1:30 PM

My gas-powered 15 HP leaf blower...I push all my leaves, and those of the neighbors on each side into a big pile in my back yard...then I wait unitl midnight, and burn them!! The aroma is fantastic, and it doesn't crowd the landfills!

Violet Aura

Posted: October 28th, 2010 1:08 PM

Leafblowers are a disease! Ban them, por favor. I have and will never understand people who rake leaves--what is so horrific about lovely multicolored leaves decorating one's lawn. Must people be so anal as to always have their lawns bare? I think this is the same mentality that pays to poison their lawns to get rid of "weeds" (oblivious to the fact that bees visit dandelions and clover).

Carrie from Oak Park

Posted: October 28th, 2010 9:58 AM

Good old fashioned bushel baskets, rakes, and the whole family. The first 30 or so bushels go into the flower beds as winter mulch. About 12 bushels fit into the compost bins. Most, however, are raked onto the curb. Guess we're lucky they've always been hauled away as expected!

Mary C. from Oak Park

Posted: October 28th, 2010 9:29 AM

After spending nearly 2 hours raking my leaves to the curb on Sunday, my leaves are still sitting along the curb after the Village pick up Monday night. Why? Because someone with a special "parking permit" gets to leave his car out on the street for up to 30 days, 24/7. Never mind that a new "two hour parking between 10 am - 5 pm, Mon. though Friday" sign went up a few days ago. He can leave his car there around the clock with no parking ticket or violation. Better luck next week!

Lori Malinski

Posted: October 28th, 2010 8:38 AM

I find it annoying that people who pride themselves on being green use leaf blowers.

Simone from Oak Park

Posted: October 28th, 2010 8:13 AM

We rake and then dump into the compost bin. We should shred them, but we only have an old fashioned push mower.

Just kidding

Posted: October 28th, 2010 7:50 AM

I wait for a big wind, like the last few days, then "leave" it up to my neighbors.

Kevin

Posted: October 27th, 2010 11:04 PM

We always would rake them to the curb like the village instructed. then we would wait all winter looking at a pile of wet decomposing leaves and come spring we would pick the leftovers up and put them right in the trash.....its the only way to get rid of them

Dotty Vandervoort from Oak Park

Posted: October 27th, 2010 9:50 PM

I don't rake, don't blow; I shred. I mow the leaves through my mulching mower into the catcher-bag. Then I dump them in the middle of the lawn and re-shred them into the catcher-bag. Then I layer 4" on my garden beds. The really tiny pieces don't get blown away and I don't waste the beautiful autumn gold that falls out of the sky. I don't get any sore muscles either.

Sheryl from Oak Park

Posted: October 27th, 2010 9:28 PM

I used to rake the leaves into a king-sized sheet and put them out front. This year I bought something called an Easy Leaf Hauler. I can pull it easier than I could pick up the sheet.

Paul from Oak Park

Posted: October 27th, 2010 8:09 PM

Rake them onto a tarp and haul to the backyard compost, so there' no need to haul them to the curb.

Brent from Oak Park

Posted: October 27th, 2010 8:07 PM

Use the blower, the mower the mulcher vac and the tarp."They" privatized the garbage and started charging. We took it peacefully. If they try the same for leaves, there will be a revolt!BrentOak Park

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2019

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us