BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND REAL ESTATE
- Oak Park Market is opening at North/Harvey in Oak Park, featuring organics and other products for Galewood/Oak Park residents. Please stop in at the 10/4 grand opening. http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/8-27-2018/New-grocery-store-headed-to-North-Avenue-/. We're delighted that the vacant building is occupied again (and with an upscale grocery this time).
- Dog Day Afternoon--a new fast food restaurant at 6939 W. North in Oak Park—had its grand opening on 8/24. Welcome to the District!
- Learning Oak/Mi Escuela early childhood development center is now open at 6429 W. North Ave, Oak Park, offering organic meals, a bi-lingual/Spanish option and early drop-off. The Wednesday Journal hails the opening in this op-ed. http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/9-4-2018/Education-notes/ Welcome!
- The building at 6555 W. North Ave. in Oak Park has been sold in what sources say was a cash deal to a group of local investors. Per sources, a cigar lounge is planned.
- The UPS Store 0980 has moved from the North/Harlem mall to more spacious quarters just east, at 7061 W. North in Oak Park. They've earned their success with fast, friendly and very professional service.
- Certified Dime Studios has opened in the long-vacant space at 6142 W. North in Chicago.They mainly represent and photograph lingerie models. www.certifieddime.com
- A new Merrill Lynch investment office has opened in the Bank of America branch at 7126 W. North in Chicago, which has repaved its lot and added landscaping. It's always good to see a District business expand and upgrade.
- Royal Furniture is moving from its current storefront at 6123 W. North (in the North/Ridge strip mall) into the much larger, long-vacant space just to the west, last occupied by a Wonder Bread outlet store.
- After decades at 7047 W. North Ave. in Oak Park, Academic & Clinical Associates in Dermatology has closed. We wish wonderful retirements to Doctors Bernstein and Santi.
- The BP gas station at 6119 W. North and the Shell station at 6129 W. North in Oak Park have been partially repaved at last. It would be nice if both were completely repaved, but at least the big potholes are filled.
- As of mid-September, 13 properties were listed for sale in the District. Some 65 office and retail spaces were available for lease, including 12 offices in the big building at 1515 N. Harlem and 10 retail spaces in the former Sears building, now being re-developed.
- River Forest trustees unanimously voted on 8/20 to create a tax-increment financing (TIF) district on North Ave. (Harlem to Thatcher). http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/river-forest/news/ct-rfl-north-avenue-tif-tl-0830-story.html; http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/8-22-2018/River-Forest-trustees-approve-North-Avenue-TIF/ Hope Chicago and Oak Park are ready to compete. Elmwood Park already has a TIF at North/Harlem and a few blocks west and north.
- Residents of the 1200 N blocks of Lombard and Taylor have requested traffic calming measures. You are invited to attend/testify at the Traffic Commission review at 7 pm on 9/24 in Village Hall Council Chambers. (Here's a link to Oak Park's traffic calming toolkit: https://www.oak-park.us/…/fil…/public-works/matrix_table.pdf.) It would be helpful if speed tables were easier to see.
THE NORTH AVENUE DISTRICT (T-NAD) is working for revitalization of North Avenue from Austin to Harlem. Please join our Facebook group and the conversation. https://www.facebook.com/groups/107435609823334/
And we are now accepting tax-deductible donations! Your contributions will help us recruit pop-up galleries for vacant storefronts, replace blank walls with murals and promote the District. https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=d-eVcfiRIEbIV1OgWaA8rTxMGywAjZ5lY8NqyzdGwKnK-s4xDG1QjgP9Q7Jr65BYhuOCN0&country.x=US&locale.x=US
- More than 2,100 people completed surveys for the District revitalization plan, breaking a Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) record. The North Avenue District, Inc. thanks everyone who shared their views and all who helped field the surveys. Thanks also to Ald. Taliaferro, his 29th Ward team, Mayor Abu-Taleb and village staff, who helped us publicize the survey. Here are two stories about the survey effort. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/oak-park/news/ct-oak-north-avenue-survey-tl-0726-story.html; http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/7-24-2018/A-redevelopment-plan-for-North-Ave.-in-the-works-/
- Five District businesses are OPRF Chamber Spotlight Award finalists: Dr. Mary Ann Bender - Advanced Physical Medicine, CAA The Hearing Place, MaidPro Oak Park, Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts, and Sassetti-Certified Public Accountants! https://www.oprfchamber.org/spotlight-awards Congrats to these great businesses. Hope you can attend the 10/9 awards ceremony and cheer them on.
- Check out this nice story about the mural ribbon-cutting on 8/12 at Wonder Works, A Children's Museum in Oak Park. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/oak-park/news/ct-oak-new-mural-tl-0816-story.html The beautiful mural is very visible message that good things are happening at the museum and on North Ave. We hope this is just the first of many North Ave. arts projects.
- Christian Harris, board member of The North Avenue District, Inc., has helped organize a mentoring program at the Oak Park library. The program encourages boys to read and explore. Very proud of you, Christian! http://www.oakpark.com/Community/Blogs/8-29-2018/Urging-more-boys-of-color-into-a-world-of-reading
CRIME AND SAFETY
- Several District businesses report that people claiming to be from Com Ed walked into their stores, demanding to see electricity bills they implied were unpaid. They have no company IDs. And a Chicago Ave. business reportedly got a call saying electricity will be shut off within minutes if an immediate payment is not made. Please don't fall for this scam!
Thanks for your interest, and enjoy the autumn!
Answer Book 2018
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|