Two Fayetteville, Ark., residents were carjacked at gunpoint in Oak Park but refused to hand over the keys to their vehicle. The two visitors were putting items in their car around 7 p.m., Nov. 20 in the 600 block of South Kenilworth Avenue, when they were approached by a male juvenile from Chicago, who showed them a handgun and demanded their vehicle keys.
When the Fayetteville residents refused to hand over their keys, the juvenile fled on foot. He was detained minutes later by police and was found to be in possession of a 9 mm handgun. The juvenile was processed and charged with attempted aggravated vehicular hijacking and unlawful use of a weapon.
Motor vehicle theft
- A white 2015 Kia Optima was stolen between 2:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., Nov. 17 from the first block of Thomas Street. The vehicle was recovered with a broken window and its steering column peeled in the 800 block of North Waller Avenue in Chicago.
- A white 2020 Kia Sportage was taken from the 700 block of Highland Avenue between 8:17 a.m. and 8:23 a.m., Nov. 17. The vehicle was recovered at 3:55 p.m. in the 400 block of Harrison Street.
- A white 2016 Chevrolet Impala was taken from the 1100 block of South Maple Avenue between 9 p.m., Nov. 11 and 4:14 p.m., Nov. 13.
- An unknown person was observed breaking the rear passenger’s side window of a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and driving off in the vehicle at 1:34 a.m., Nov. 15 in the 400 block of South Grove Avenue. The estimated loss is $10,000.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone broke the rear passenger’s side window of a 2018 Kia Sorento then peeled its steering column between 9 p.m., Nov. 14 and 7:40 a.m., Nov. 15 in the 200 block of Pleasant Street.
- A Colt King Cobra .357 revolver with a black handle and silver barrel was stolen from inside an Oak Park resident’s home in the 800 block of Washington Boulevard between 8 a.m., Nov. 17 and 5 p.m., Nov. 19. The estimated loss is $900.
- The catalytic converter was taken from a 2013 Toyota Prius parked in the 500 block of South Maple Avenue between 7 p.m., Nov. 14 and 6 a.m., Nov. 15.
- The catalytic converter was taken from a Toyota Prius parked in the 700 block of South Boulevard between 9:45 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Nov. 15.
- A man was observed removing a package, containing a pair of brown leather Schutz boots, from a front porch in the 300 block of South Cuyler Avenue between 1:30 and 1:35 p.m., Nov. 18. The man was seen driving off in a black sports utility vehicle. The total loss is $150.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a 1998 Ford F350 parked in a lot in the 400 block of Lake Street between 6 p.m., Nov. 18 and 7:46 p.m., Nov. 20.
- A package containing a pair of Chanel and a pair of Celine women’s sunglasses was taken from a front porch in the 1200 block of North East Street between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m., Nov. 20.
Criminal property damage
- Someone shattered the rear passenger’s side window of a 2014 Kia Optima, but did not gain entry, between 4 p.m., Nov. 14 and 8 a.m., Nov. 15.
- Someone punctured the rear driver’s side tire and two passenger’s side tires of a 2019 Toyota Camry parked in the 900 block of South Highland Avenue between 5:15 p.m., Nov. 13 and 6 a.m., Nov. 14.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports through Nov. 15-21 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.