We have a very important election approaching. How we vote will decide who will lead us. I have spent some time thinking about the essential qualities of a good elected official or legislator. I will be using the following as a basis for my voting decision, and I encourage others to use it and share it as well.
What are the qualities that make a good elected official or legislator?
- Does not have any of the three “curses” that afflict politics, capitalism, and families:
- -Abuse of Power
- Believes in and supports the U.S. Constitution.
- Believes in and supports democracy.
- Understands and protects these basic tenets of our democracy for each of our citizens:
- -Fair and Just Rule of Law
- -Freedom of Speech
- -Freedom of Assembly
- -Freedom of the Press
- -Freedom of Religion
- -Equal and Fair Right to Vote
- Has a good moral compass.
- Listens to constituents.
- Works collaboratively with other elected officials to take actions for the betterment of all constituents.
- Represents and protects the interests, prosperity, and well-being of all citizens.
- Surrounds her/himself with competent and committed advisors and managers and listens to them.
- Is competent and has the ability to lead and make good decisions.