A Chicago resident told police he was carjacked at gunpoint at 2:57 p.m., April 22, in the 6500 block of North Avenue. According to police reports, a man dressed entirely in black approached the resident’s vehicle, pointed a black handgun at him and demanded he get out of the vehicle.
After the Chicago resident complied, the offender was last seen in the resident’s vehicle traveling eastbound on North Avenue.
Chicago police later located the victim’s vehicle parked in the 1100 block of North Avenue at 7:32 p.m. The vehicle had sustained damage to its front and was missing its front license plate.
Aggravated discharge of a firearm
A man was observed exiting the driver’s side of a blue Jeep Compass and then shooting an unknown firearm in a northeast direction at 10:39 a.m., April 19 in the 100 block of West Harvard Street; the man reentered the vehicle and fled westbound on Harvard Street. No injuries were reported but a building was struck during the incident.
- Someone entered an unlocked garage and removed lawnmower, trimmer and a bag of charcoal, then entered the victim’s 2019 Honda Odyssey and took two pairs of Honda Bluetooth headphones, one pair of sunglasses and a first aid kit between 2:30 p.m., April 17 and 9:41 a.m., April 18 in the 1000 block of North Elmwood Avenue. The estimated loss is $650.
- Someone broke into a parked car and removed a black wallet containing an Illinois driver’s license, cash and credit cards, which were then used at various locations between 6 and 8 p.m., April 19 in the 900 block of Madison Street. The estimated loss is $4,300.
- A snow blower and two bicycles were taken from an open garage in the 600 block of North Lombard Avenue around 1 p.m., April 20. The estimated loss is $666.13.
Motor vehicle theft
A 2007 Honda Civic parked on the street in the 200 block of Chicago Avenue was taken between 8 p.m., April 22 and 11 a.m., April 23. The estimated loss is $3,000.
- Someone removed packages from the vestibule of a building in the 900 block of Garfield Street between 10:52 a.m. and 8 p.m., April 20. Estimated loss is $200.
- A black Portfolio light timer and 12 black Portfolio yard lights were taken from a resident’s yard in the 900 block of North Oak Park Avenue between 12:30 and 4:30 p.m., April 21. The estimated loss is $300.
- Four tires and rims were removed from a 2007 Acura TL while parked in the 200 block of Home Avenue between 2:30 and 9:38 a.m., April 24. The estimated loss is $600.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone shot at a car, damaging its hood, parked in the 1000 block of North Austin Boulevard between 8:30 a.m., April 20 and 8 a.m., April 21. The estimated damage is $500.
- A brick with a threatening message attached was thrown through the front porch window of a home in the 800 block of South Humphrey Avenue between 10:30 p.m., April 21 and 6:30 a.m., April 22. Loss was unknown at the time of reporting. Police did not share the exact wording of the message, only that it was a veiled threat regarding the custody of a juvenile.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports April 19-26 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan