Three cars were targeted by a burglar in the 600 block of North Cuyler Avenue at roughly the same time on March 9. In the first incident, the burglar successfully entered the unlocked 2019 Honda Fit between 8 p.m. and 8:24 p.m. The car’s interior was ransacked but no loss was reported. Another vehicle of unreported make and model was broken into and its interior ransacked between 8 p.m. and 8:23 p.m. with no reported loss.
An attempt to break into a third vehicle was made at 8:24 p.m. in the same block. While the victim was sitting inside his parked Dodge Charger, a man approached and attempted to open his car. Upon realizing the victim was seated inside, the man fled and got into a dark colored vehicle driven by an unknown person. The dark colored vehicle was last seen traveling southbound on Cuyler Avenue.
- A Garmin International GPS device was taken from a 2012 Chrysler with an unlocked door between 9:50 p.m., March 12 and 6 a.m., March 13 in the 600 block of South Austin Boulevard. The estimated loss is $250.
Theft of motor vehicle
- Someone removed a white 2015 Nissan Rogue, left unattended and running with the keys in the ignition, at 8:29 p.m., March 9 in the 100 block of North Marion Street. The vehicle was last seen traveling southbound on Marion Street. The estimated loss is $17,000.
- A vehicle was removed from the street between 8 p.m. and 11:11 p.m., March 11 in the 1200 block of North Austin Boulevard. The estimated loss is $35,400.
Recovered stolen motor vehicle
- The 2014 Nissan Sentra reported stolen Jan. 30 out of Oak Park was recovered in the 5200 block of West Kamerling Avenue, Chicago at 10:27 a.m., March 9 and returned to its owner. No apprehensions were made.
- Someone removed a silver Apple MacBook Air laptop computer from an office in the 1100 block of South Cuyler Avenue between 10:26 a.m., Jan. 29 and 10:26 a.m., Feb. 22. Estimated loss not reported.
- The catalytic converter to a 2005 Toyota Prius was cut while the vehicle was parked in a lot in the 6800 block of North Avenue between 5 p.m., March 5 and 4:30 p.m., March 8. Estimated loss is unknown.
Criminal damage to property
- The rear passenger vent window of a 2002 Honda Odyssey was damaged while the vehicle was parked in the front of a residence in the 200 block of South Maple Avenue between 6 p.m., March 4 and 11 a.m., March 5.
- The basement door of a residence was damaged after someone removed the lock and cylinder between 6:30 p.m., March. 3 and 10 a.m., March 5 in the 500 block of North Grove Avenue. The estimated damage is $200.
- Two vertical posts and six horizontal rails of a wooden fence were damaged in the 1200 block of Fair Oaks Avenue at 10:39 a.m., March 13.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports March 7 – March 15 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan