Oak Park saw two vehicular shooting incidents Feb. 6. The first occurred at 2:23 p.m. when the victim’s vehicle was struck with multiple bullets while driving west on Madison Street across Austin Boulevard. According to police reports, an unknown offender fired the shots from a gray sedan which was last seen traveling east on Madison Street. The victim received no injuries from the discharged firearm. The shots damaged the glass door of the nearby Madison-Austin Currency Exchange, located at 2 Madison St.
A similar shooting occurred that evening, at 11:40 p.m. in the 400 block of South East Avenue, when another unknown offender discharged a firearm at a man’s vehicle, after he had reversed out of an alley and almost hit the offender’s white automobile. The victim left the area and later noticed his vehicle had received damage from the shooting.
- A man posing as a repairman was let into a residence and once inside, directed the victim to check the water in the basement; the victim later discovered numerous pieces of jewelry were missing in the 900 block of Forest Avenue between 5 p.m. and 10:52 p.m., Feb. 3. The estimated loss was unknown at the time of report.
- Someone broke into a residence under construction and removed copper piping from inside between 5 p.m., Jan. 29 and 6 a.m., Feb. 2 in the 1100 block of South Elmwood Avenue. The estimated loss is $1,900.
- A leather bookbag, containing a black Smith & Wesson M&P handgun, was taken from an unlocked vehicle in the 900 block of South Humphrey Avenue between 9 p.m., Feb. 1 and 9 a.m., Feb. 2. The estimated loss is $675.
- Someone removed a snowblower from an unlocked garage in the 500 block of Woodbine Avenue between 11 a.m., Feb. 1 and 4:06 p.m., Feb. 4. Estimated loss is $381.
- A snowblower was removed from an unlocked garage in the 1000 block of North East Avenue between 10 p.m., Feb. 1 and 4:13 p.m., Feb. 4. The estimated loss is $950.
- Someone broke into a vehicle and removed a laptop computer from inside between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., Jan. 31 in the 600 block of Washington Street. The estimated loss is $500.
Motor vehicle theft
- A white 2013 Ford Fusion that was left unlocked, unattended and running was removed from the first block of West Randolph Street between 8:45 a.m. and 8:50 a.m., Feb. 1. The estimated loss is $10,800.
- Someone cut the catalytic converter from a 2008 Toyota Prius parked in the 400 block of South Lombard Avenue between 2 p.m., Jan. 30 and 3 p.m., Jan. 31. The estimated loss is $2,000.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Feb. 1 – Feb. 8 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan