An Uber driver was carjacked at gunpoint at 10:06 a.m., Jan. 28. The driver picked up a male customer in the 100 block of South Taylor, who sat in the rear seat of the driver’s 2018 Ford Focus. As the driver was taking the passenger to his destination, the passenger directed the driver to go down an alley in the first block of Lake Street. The passenger then showed a handgun and ordered the driver out of the vehicle. After the driver exited, the passenger fled in the driver’s Ford Focus, which was last seen traveling east on Lake Street.
The Ford Focus was recovered by the police department in Dearborn, Michigan at 5:03 p.m., Jan. 28. That is a distance of 284 miles.
- Someone broke into a 2008 Cadillac CTS and removed various tools from inside between 11 a.m., Jan. 15 and 6 p.m., Jan. 21 in the 400 block of South Ridgeland Avenue. The estimated loss is $855.
- Someone broke into and ransacked the interior of a 2005 GMC Envoy while parked at 900 W. Thomas St. between 9:30 p.m., Jan. 26 and noon, Jan. 27. No loss was reported.
Motor vehicle theft
- Someone took a white 2012 Kia Optima, left running and unlocked, between 9:10 p.m. and 9:14 p.m., Jan. 25 in the 6100 block of West North Avenue. The total loss is $10,000. Chicago police recovered the vehicle at 3:41 a.m. at 3835 W. Thomas St. in Chicago.
- Someone removed a silver 2020 Chevrolet Equinox, left unattended, running and unlocked, in a parking lot in the 6300 block of West North Avenue between 7:28 p.m. and 7:32 p.m., Jan. 26. The estimated loss is $20,000.
Attempted motor vehicle theft
- Someone broke into a 2004 Nissan Maxima and then removed the fuse box panel and attempted to hotwire the vehicle to start but was unsuccessful between 7:30 p.m., Jan. 26 and 2:30 p.m., Jan. 27 in the 300 block of South Humphrey Avenue. The estimated damage is unknown.
- Someone took a package delivered to a residence in the 300 block of South Humphrey Avenue between 4:11 p.m. and 6:45 p.m., Jan. 25. The total loss is $20.
- Someone removed the license plates from a 2001 Ford Windstar while parked in the 100 block of North Oak Park Avenue between 2 p.m., Dec. 20 and 3 p.m., Jan. 10.
- The catalytic converter was cut from a vehicle in the 100 block of North Scoville Avenue between 4:55 p.m. and 5:04 p.m., Jan. 27. The estimated loss is $1,400.
- Someone took the victim’s engagement ring left on the bathroom counter of the victim’s home in the 1100 block of Erie Street between 12:30 p.m., Dec. 6 and 7 a.m., Jan. 13. The estimated loss is $2,100.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Jan. 25 – Feb. 1 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public’s help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan