Every two years the Oak Park Department of Health and Board of Health honor spic and span Oak Park restaurant kitchens with a Johnson Award; an honor named after the very first public lunchroom located in Oak Park in the 1890’s.
The health inspection survey scores of more than 85 restaurants are averaged over two years and the ten top-scoring establishments are granted the award in recognition of their stringent food service safety and sanitation efforts.
Congratulations to the 2018 Johnson Award winners:
- Boss Burrito, 1110 W. Westgate St.**
- Penny’s Noodle Shop, 1130 Chicago Ave.**
- Sagano Sushi, 731 Lake St.**
- Buzz Cafe, 905 Lombard Ave.*
- Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria, 1038 Lake St.
- Jerusalem Cafe, 1030 W. Lake St.**
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, 1128 Lake St.
- New Pot Restaurant, 727 Lake St.
- Na Siam Thai Restaurant, 6851 North Ave.
- Happiness Restaurant, 6222 Roosevelt Rd.
**Denotes a business that also won a Johnson award in 2016
* Buzz Cafe, in the Harrison Street Arts District has won a Johnson Award for the fifth straight time, making the newly remodeled cafe the longest running Johnson Award recipient.