For the second time in less than a month, a vehicle has been stolen during a garage burglary on Franklin Avenue in River Forest.
According to a press release, three offenders stole a vehicle from the garage of a residence in the 900 block of Franklin Avenue at about 9 p.m. on Jan. 15. Police from other local agencies, including officers in a Chicago police helicopter, spotted the vehicle on the West Side of Chicago.
The offenders abandoned the car and fled on foot in a “dense residential area,” said police, who continue to investigate the incident.
On Jan. 3, two vehicles were stolen during a residential burglary in the 400 block of Franklin Avenue. The offenders forced their way into the home, which was not occupied at the time.
At least two offenders stole the cars, electronics and jewelry at about 9:20 p.m. that night. Police later recovered the cars, one in Chicago, the other in Cicero.
The River Forest Police Department reminds residents to:
- Remain vigilant and report anyone soliciting without a permit;
- Lock the doors and windows to your home;
- Utilize camera and alarm systems;
- Keep valuables out of sight from windows and doors;
- Record serial numbers for electronics and photograph jewelry and other valuables.